Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to karaoke_carlos Send a message via Yahoo to karaoke_carlos
Brakes kill ignition

Anybody have an idea why applying the brakes kills the ignition?
Old 11-27-2004, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

voltage drop? Shorted brake lamp switch? Loose wires? Loose alternator belt?
Old 11-27-2004, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'd say a shorted brake light switch which will short circuit a whole lot of stuff. Try pulling it then disconnject the wires and just touching the wires together to simulate the closing of the circuit to see if the engine dies. The brake lights should come on fine. Good luck
Old 11-27-2004, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I'm thinking a shorted wire would likely pop a fuse. I'm thinking that a bad connection somewhere is more likely. Possibly even at the battery (+ or - terminal) or the transmission ground strap, possibly on the fuse panel (even a connection betweent a fuse and its holders), maybe elsewhere...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-27-2004, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You might clean the contacts on fuse S9 first, see if that works (not likely), then pull the bulbs from both brake lights, one at a time and see if that works. It none of this works, check the brake lights wiring for high resistance shorts (shorts that don't draw enough current to blow a fuse but will draw excess current).

The problem will be found somewhere in the brake light circuit.

Phil
Old 11-28-2004, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Fuse 9! Fuse 9!
or
whats yer battery's shape (yeah, rectangular- ha). If you have inadequate charging when the battery finally is LOW, the brake lights, being pretty high wattage, put on a big drain and cause this. Do a search on "charging".

My gallery page
Old 11-28-2004, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Carlos didn't say anything about low battery charge, or battery charging problems. To get the engine to quit when you press on the brake pedal you first have to get the engine running by cranking it. This is not to say that his car doesn't have a slow charging problem, it may, but cranking the engine will draw a bunch more amps than applying the brakes.

Carlos, Do you also have a poor charging system or battery?

Phil
Old 11-28-2004, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to karaoke_carlos Send a message via Yahoo to karaoke_carlos
It's fixed!!!

This, and a few other gremlins were fixed over the long weekend.

To make a long story short, one of the wires inside the turn signal housing was reversed. This created a short whenever the turn signals were activated, which killed the ignition immediately.

Part two of the story goes like this. In addition to that, the DAPO had removed the side marker lights and replaced them with reflectors. one of the sides had no wiring to it. The other... you guessed it. The two wires for the side marker were touching.

So... now that I've lost my hair, I can go ahead and start letting it grow back.

Thanks a lot to all of you guys for your help... and my friends who came out to help me. I couldn't have done it without some help.

Now all I need to fix is the darn reverse lights.. That one should be much easier.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: