Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question electrical and starter problem

hello, I am almost done replacing the engine on my 914 and I am hooking up the wiring and I am in a little bit of a boggle. A lot of the wires were unhooked from the motor and I am trying to figure out what goes where. First problem. Starter motor, How many wires need to be hooked up to it. Right now I have one coming from the battery and one coming from by the relay box on drivers side. When I hook up the battery the engine starts cranking. Next question. what wires from the car do I need hooked up to the coil in order to get spark or do I need any at all. I am running the petronix coil and electronic ignition. I am also running an electric choke off of my single carb set up. any input would be great. Just trying to get it running before winter
Old 11-29-2004, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Three wires to the starter. The main battery cable, the wire (yellow I think) to the ignition switch via the relay board, and a heavy ground strap or wire bolted to a terminal under the trunk. If the starter starts cranking as soon as you attach the battery cable, you either have a stuck solenoid in the starter or a bad ignition switch or short on the relay board.

For the ignition coil +term. you need the +12V lead going to the ignition switch, and on the - term. the wires to the tach and the ignition module in the distributor.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

the starter I bought was supposed to be rebuilt so I guess I will start with getting that checked out because I am not going to be happy if thats the problem. been working for a couple of days trying to figure it out.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2004, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Brian, disconnect the main battery cable from the starter (make sure it's isolated from the car) and then connect the cable at the battery. Then use a voltmeter to measure across ground and the yellow wire on the solenoid. If it's 9V-12V all the time then something is wrong between there and the ignition switch. If it's zero (which it should be unless key turned to start) then problem is in your starter solenoid.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

thanks alot will try let you know
Old 11-29-2004, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The ground strap does not hook to the starter--the starter's ground path is through the transmission case to the ground strap on the back of the trans.

There are three wires that get hooked up to the starter. The yellow wire that comes from the ignition switch gets plugged into one of the "flag" terminals on the starter. (They're all the same, electrically, so just plug it into one of them.) This wire should have +12V only when the key is turned to the "start" position, not when it is in the "run" position.

The really FAT black cable from the positive battery post. This should have a hole in the end, which slips over a stud on the back of the starter solenoid. This has +12V all the time, of course.

The thick-ish red wire from the alternator. This has a ring terminal on the end, and it also goes over the same stud on the solenoid that the battery cable does. This is how the current from the alternator gets back into the battery... I don't recall if it has power or not when it isn't connected to the battery cable.

I know I've heard of the "cranks whenever the battery cable is hooked up" problem before, but I don't remember the cause right now... Sorry!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-29-2004, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

thanks for all the help Willl be looking into the problem today.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: