Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Cokeaholic
lock pins

I'm trying to replace my shift linkage support on a side shifter 914 tranny. I reached the ball joint on the shifter at the tranny, and it has a lock pin in it. Does anyone know how to remove these pins? My haynes book says to "drive out the lock pin" but i'm not entirely sure how to go about this.

-Corey
Old 12-03-2004, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I am not sure what you are doing, but you shouldn't have to drive out any lock pins unless there is a major event taking place. If I understand you right, you are trying to hood like part on the side shifter where the rod transfers through? You could get a whole assembly used from someone if that is of interest to you. If you already have it off of the tranny (you need to have it off of the tranny, it will be world easier and you will not break anything extra) you just drive it out with a drift or a punch and a hammer. If you can take pictures that would help.
I hope I understood you correctly.
-74 BMW R90
Old 12-03-2004, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Not too familiar with the side shifters I have a tail, but mine has 2 set screws with points if I remember right, and one roll pin that must be driven out. For the roll pin just take a punch just barely smaller than the OD of the pin, and tap it out with a hammer. Not much to it...

Tony
Old 12-03-2004, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The "side-shift console" (the part bolted onto the transmission that the side-shift linkage enters the transmission case inside of) is held on by two nuts. Put the transmission in neutral, remove the two nuts, get soaked by the transmission fluid. (Whoops--drain it first!! )

Ahh, here we go. Click the link for a picture. Part #16 is what I'm referring to as the "side-shift console".
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/Parts/Transmission/assembly_big.htm

Then you can put the whole shebang into a vise and drive out the roll pin, using your favorite punch and BFH. It's probably wisest to back up the part with a piece of wood with a hole in it; that should help support the part so you don't bang anything else up besides the roll pin.

Use a new O-ring on the console when you re-install it. New seals around the shaft running through the console couldn't hurt either...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling

Last edited by Dave at Pelican Parts; 12-03-2004 at 03:25 PM..
Old 12-03-2004, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

ok well now that i have all of that fixed, I put it all back together, but can I lost 4th and 5th gears because the rod won't go down through the support far enough(or well that's what i think). Any suggestions?
Old 12-06-2004, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Make sure your motor mounts are in good shape, and that the bar has not sagged. If this is a conversion of an earlier tail-shift chassis, swap out the outboard rubber mounts on the motor mount bar and swap in the later solid mounts.

--DD

Old 12-06-2004, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

OCD project capitan

Garage
Hey Coke, the bushing that you replaced for the rear shift rod needs to be turned around. The rear cup that holds the bushing/ball that then goes into the trans cannot go far enough forward to let you ingage 4th/5th. Did you get the brass bushing for this? I've had several friends put that in backwards and have the same problem.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

well i unattached the linkage and still can't pull the rod down into 4th/5th, so i'm wondering if it could be an alignment issue w/in the tranny.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

It's fixed and runs. thanks for all of your help
Old 12-06-2004, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
What was the deal with the 4th/5th? The internal shift rails got mis-aligned?

--DD

Old 12-06-2004, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I screwed up after putting it together the first time. I put in a new oil seal w/out taking out the old one, and it slipped my mind, so that the extra seal was keeping me from being able to pull the rod down all the way
Old 12-06-2004, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: