Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Stripping Down A 914 For Full Restoration

I just purchased a '73 2.0 project car and am ready to start stripping it down for a full restoration (painting, interior, and engine rebuild). Thought I'd ask those of you who've done this, where I should start and what tools I should have, before I start stripping the car down. I plan to do a very thorough job on the restoration.

Any particular parts on the car that are difficult to remove? Anything I should be careful with when removing?

Thanks,

Last edited by 73ess; 12-05-2004 at 10:31 PM..
Old 12-05-2004, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The most important tool is
a
big
fat
wallet

I did a color change on mine, and removed everything I could except the motor - all the trim, doors, hoods, and seats and painted everything that was previous color. Used regular-guy tools, including big compressor and pneumatic stuff (necessity).
Didn't plan on doing a complete resto, but after doing just a color change/flare job, it seemed it would not be much more difficult to do the rest. Just replacing the old crusty junk with new spiff would be pricey, but well worth it - these cars seem to just snap together, like Fisher-Price toys.
Oh yeah, I had a beeyotch of a time with the defroster-box behind the gas tank, under the cowl.. That sucks. I haven't needed to do it (thank the gods), but the wiring harness looks like it can be a slightly less fun than sorting cooked spaghetti.
Pictures???

Cheerio
Old 12-06-2004, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Aaaahndy (Sir Andy) from the 914club board has done the wiring harness thing. He can now identify the parts of the wiring harness by sight--which is way more than I ever want to be able to do!!! Anyway, there is at least one thread over on that BBS with photos of the harness and a discussion of how best to remove/reinstall it.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-06-2004, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OCD project capitan

Garage
Hey Steve,

I have done exactly what you want to do. I took my 73 chassis and took it to bare metal, then all new primer, GT flares, roll cage, did everything, the body work, cage, and paint myself. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

As for tools, lets see.
-Compressor as Scooter said...
-6" DA sander
-90 deg angle die grinder with attachments (cut off wheel, stripper wheel, sander wheel)
-hammer and dolly set
-long block and short blocks (for bondo/primmer sanding)
-HPLV spray gun
-Portable Sand Blaster from habor freight
-Automotive body repair books.

As for the complete stripping of your chassis, i would suggest only going down to the factory primer where possible. This is better than giong to bare metal and then applying new etching primer. Where there is rust, i would use the sand blaster, then clean the surface imediatly with RM 900 surface cleaner and then have the primer in the gun ready to spray. Oxidation will start almost emidatly after bare metal is exposed to air (because water does get into the compressor lines).

I took my whole exterior chassis to bare metal. It was not worth the time because the factory bare metal paint is just fine. But, its old primer, so when you put new primer on top, you need to start lightly to let the old primer below suckup all the VOC (solvents). Otherwise, it might cause the new primer to crack because of the fast absorbtion. Same with the bondo, don't apply too thick, it shrinks. I buy bondo called Rage Gold. Its really dry, so i mix it with filler puddy to smooth it out. It goes on great and sands wonderfully. But like all bodo, if you wait too long for the bondo to harden its going to be like sanding granite, and life will suck.

I think i spent just over $1500 in sand paper, sander disks, bondo, primer, paint, etc.

Good luck, and have fun!!! Its a great experiance that i plan on doing again and again.

Last edited by BigD9146gt; 12-06-2004 at 08:41 AM..
Old 12-06-2004, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Note--if you sand-blast, you will have sand mysteriously showing up in every compartment of the car. Every time you go around a corner or hit the brakes. For years.

I know several people who still occasionally find "new" sand in their car, even 3-6 years after the sandblasting took place!!

--DD

Old 12-06-2004, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OCD project capitan

Garage
True Dave, but how else are you suppose to get rust pitting out of the windsheild corners without having to cut/weld in new sections. Some small areas are easiest to deal with by blasting. Even though sand can get everywhere, you can easily prevent that by covering the drivers,trunks,etc compartments with plastic.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Make certain you really want to do thi$.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info. So until I get around to stripping the car down, there are a couple of areas where the paint has chipped off and there is some surface rust on the metal in those areas. Should I spray these areas with WD40 to halt the rusting or should I use some Extend or Por-15 rust inhibitor and paint it on those rusted spots?

Also, what parts should I start removing first? Any particular order is best when stripping the car down?

Last edited by 73ess; 12-06-2004 at 10:36 PM..
Old 12-06-2004, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
OCD project capitan

Garage
I would only spray it with some cheap spray paint to keep the oxygen from getting to it. As long as the car is out of the weather, and you will get to those spots in several months, they won't progress any faster.

One more thing, for the large flat areas such as the front and rear trunks, i would use some aircraft paint remover. The less paint-removal sanding you have to on large, flat areas the better. Sanding is a form of friction, and friction is heat. Too much heat and you'll create small warps on the flat areas. Plus sanding sucks, but make sure your in a well ventallated area and have good eye protection when using the aircraft stripper as well as water for washing off any body parts that come into contact with it. Thats stuff burns bad, and if not washed off quickly, can cause some damage. Thick gloves too!

As for starting... I would start where ever you want. Everything needs to be done, so pick a section you most feel comfortable with and go for it.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Scooter,

It looks I may have to tackle the cowl airbox. With your experience what tips do have for this project.

Thanks
Old 12-08-2004, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
OCD project capitan

Garage
Sorry, I'm not Scooter, but i've done it about 15 times.

For the airbox you need to take out the fuel tank. I would leave the posibility that one can take it out with the gas tank in place, but I don't see how since i've tried it before.

Once the tank is out, then unbolt the airbox from the cowel, the air ducts, the electrical plug and cable operation peice on the bottom/back of the fresh air box, and it should come out. Some major wiggling is in order, but take your time and make sure nothing is hanging up.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
It tends to be pretty fragile after all these years, so be careful with it!!

--DD

Old 12-08-2004, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
DON"T take out the wirring harnice!
Check us out on Facebook and give us a Like --> www.facebook.com/AirCooledClassicsPorsche/info#!/AirCooledClassicsPorsche
Old 12-09-2004, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Have you thought of the children?!
Old 12-09-2004, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Wink

Kids?!? The bloomin car is a two seater. The extra seat is for your wife or girlfriend. Fortunately my wife and girlfriend don't get along so I get to keep the 914.

1974 914/4 2.0
2006 Hummer H3
2005 Dakota
Old 12-09-2004, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Good call BigD

I had problems with my wiper motor, and had the lil' bugger out several times. I eventually had a fuel line start leaking after removing the tank so many times, so instead of replacing it with a short piece, I used a leftover section of stainless braided hose leftover from another project. It's like, 3 feet long, and I can yank the tank and put it in the trunk or off the side of the car and still leave it connected. Makes life easier. The box, as was said, will be brittle and awkward, and there's also a seal along the top of it that needs to be on correctly when reinstalling the mess.

After all that I ended up unplugging one of the wires from the motor and have to manually 'park' the blades on the windshield, because it was getting late and I needed to drive the car. I haven't gotten around to it yet, because I'm quite good at stopping them with the lever. Someday when I feel adventurous and have some time to waste I'll get into it again. That, and I wanna take my seatbelt retractor apart and rewind the spring tighter. That, and I wanna redo some of the bodywork that shrunk around my flares. That, and I wanna powdercoat my brake calipers. That, and I wanna run the yellow wire from my radio through the center tunnel and to the battery so I don't keep losing the stations when I turn the car off.

Did date a chickie over the summer who had a 4 year old, she sat on the center cushion once, and I had her put her hand on mine when I shifted gears. It sorta mesmerized her, and she actually shut up for a little while.
The 4 year old that is.

Old 12-10-2004, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: