Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

3 stud intake 2.0 heads

Hi, I'm new here. here is my question;
I have a 73 2L 914. Saved her from the junkyard, and built a Baja type 914, for rallye purpose through Baja.

Dropped a valve seat on #1 exhaust valve (think it's a dropped seat recessed into the head about 1/4") didn't break it, or damge the piston........drove it home from mexicali, and pulled the engine...

It was popping out the exhaust....#1 exhaust valve was way tight......reset, and the valve got tight again in about 500 miles....twice....

Pulled eng/trans, pulled the heads off......3 stud intake, oval exhaust ports......but, I have the deep dish pistons...1/4 inch or so deep.

My question, is about repairing replacing the heads........I didn't have enough compression before for any power (cuz the deep dish pistons) I'm thinking about replacing the heads with Bus heads.......I hear they have different head chambers, for the deep dish pistons........3 stud 2L heads were for flat top, or domed pistons....higher compression pistons.....
I'm thinking about the 021-101-371S heads..... to compensate for the deep dish pistons......for my economical top end rebuild.

Any advice on a good set of heads parts # that mate with the deep dish pistons would be appreciated....... this is the first time I have had a 914 engine out of the car.....and my first time posting here.........
Old 12-06-2004, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

Len Hoffman could probably answer all of your questions.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Alfred, maybe I'll try to contact Len Hoffman, or see if he responds....
Once again, many thanks
Old 12-06-2004, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

You're welcome. Len is also pretty active on the Type 4rum so you might ask there as well http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=5f173f4d38f68e136ec0f7fe9109f652 .
Old 12-06-2004, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks again Alfred.
I'm still trying to get used to this board, and clicking links provided.....but, it's not going well!
Do you have a simple website for the T4rum, where info, from Len Hoffman and others may be helpful......
Sorry my computer isn't cooperating with clicking links today.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Alfred... I found it on search...I was trying T4rum, and you said Type 4rum....
My mistake. thanks for the lead.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Don't get rid of those heads! They are cherry base heads for a bigger engine. Len can repair them and you'll never know they were previously damaged.

Bump that baby up to a 96mm bore to make a 2056, have Len repair that head and then get a nice camshaft to compliment the heads.

You have a private message...
www.massivetype4.com
Old 12-06-2004, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

thanks for the info Jake, some others have also told me the same combo as you..........but for this engine, I want a good torque engine, I'm not as concerned about a high rever.

But I want to have these heads rebuilt for a future motor, with the 96's,........ what kind of cam would you recommend.... I like torque, cuz I'm off road alot. and with taller tires, I need the torque.

I'm new here, can someone tell me how the private message works?
Old 12-06-2004, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Can't say a 67hp bus motor is a good torque motor vs a 2056cc 110hp/120lbs torque motor. The bus pistons were for low compression so why would you go to a low hp set up for a baja?

Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 12-06-2004, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

You will also gain torque with the bigger bore and the right camshaft.

I do this everyday- All day, listen or you are going to have all sorts of issues.

The small valves in the bus heads may be great for port velocity, but they SUCK for chamber filling! Chamber filling at the desired RPM is the key to big, flat torque while retaining good running temps.

The cam I would set you up with is split lift and duration and has an AWESOME flat torque curve with stock ported 2.0/914 heads.
www.massivetype4.com
Old 12-07-2004, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: