Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

fuel pump replacement

I have a 73' 914 with fuel inj. The fuel pump has started to leak. I thought it was hoses but after replacing them it still leaks. Of course when I saw that a new pump cost $375 I gasped for oxygen. Is there another pump I can use from a different year? Anyone been thru this exercise? I dont want to re-invent the wheel if I dont have to.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Try all the 914 boards and see if you can fine someone that has converted to carbs. Of course the pump will be the same age and probably has been sitting and may still leak. I took one apart earlier this year and used synthetic grease to seal it when I put it back together and it sealed fine. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks John, I may just try taking apart the one I have. You said you used synthetic grease. Are there Orings in there that were bad in your pump?
Old 12-08-2004, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I think there are a couple and that is why I used the grease. It is a roller pump so when you take it apart work over a white towel so little parts will not go everywhere. Good luck
Old 12-09-2004, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
you can replace the O-rings but if it leaks thru the electrical connection, you will probably have to fork up the $ for a new one....
73 914 2.0 CIS #80
74 914 1.8L L-jet
83 911SC
Old 12-09-2004, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
When you disassemble the pump part, mark the pump cover and the spacer and the electric motor part. They fit together many different ways, only one of which is correct. If you rotate the spacer and cover around, you can wind up with a pump that sucks from the "D" port and pushes out the "S" port...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-09-2004, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I think I remember reading a post I think on the club site about a rebuild kit for the fuel pump.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I rebuilt leaky pumps

After, finding that all my 4 spare were leaking, I sacrificed one to see how they were and just rebuit it my self, a bit tricky but for sure a whole lot cheaper, i am even considering starting a rebuilding buisiness if the demand is big enough, i figured out that 100 would be a good deal, shipping back included in the americas ,, ( I am in canada), let me know if you are interested, I can rebulit then as long as the top end gear and ball and race are in good shape, I can fix the leak the electrical connector
660R stroked
Old 12-10-2004, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I have the same leaky pump problem in my '73 2.0L. I took the top cover off of the pump and replaced the o-ring but it still is leaking. I will have to tear it down and grease it up some more.
Question is...Can I use an aftermarket electric pump in place of the factory one???
Old 02-19-2005, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
It is the same as a Type3 VW. Brett Insturment in Santa Ana has rebuilt pumps. At least they did a while back
Old 02-19-2005, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
As long as you can get a pump that supplies the correct pressure and volume, you're fine.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 02-22-2005, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: