Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Chassis reinforcement

Does anyone have an idea how much the installation of the reinforcement kit costs. I'm about to pick up a 73 with new paint and interior, carb on the engine, good wheels and tires. I just don't know what the structure is like. It's such a deal I need to make a decision quick. I'd like to change the front suspension and box the trsailing arms at the rear, so all the suspension would come off anyway. What's a welder going to cost me???
Old 06-10-1998, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

At some shops, it could cost around $600-$750 to install the chassis stiffening kit, including parts. I have a tech article that is coming out real soon on this subject. Maybe I can finish it this weekend, if enough people would like to see it.

Thanks,

Wayne
Old 06-10-1998, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I would love to see the article, it will help me decide if I want to buy a MIG welder, or pay someone (time is not important, money always is). Hints on building a rotisserie and how to mount the body to it would also be of great benefit. While I'm thinking of it, when one wants to support the entire chassis on stands, say to remove front and rear suspension, where are the proper support points?

Thanks in advance for the article!
Old 06-12-1998, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Check out the photos in our 914 photo section of David Gale's car on his rotisserie. I belive that it's for sale as well.

The rear is easy - the transmission mounts. The front is a little less intuitive. He mounted the chassis on points that he drilled into the car. The chassis without anything on it is real light, so you don't have to worry too much about mounting it...

-Wayne
Old 06-13-1998, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
If you want to take all the suspension off the car, you can support the body on the reinforced areas of the floorpan. There are sort-of donut-shaped pads that stick down from the floorpan in four places that you can use to support the car.

The front ones are just aft of the front wheel wells, by the outside edge of the car body. You should be able to see them pretty easily if you get down far enough.

The rear ones are on the "floorpan triangles" that reinforce the lower front corners of the engine compartment. If one or both triangles are missing (rust), you can put a stand under the main box sections that live above the triangles.

--DD
Old 06-15-1998, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: