Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question looking for pics and tech info on 914/11 or 12 gearbox.

Hi there
I'm about to buy a '74 914. Since i am planning on doing a subaru twin turbo engine swap on it, i am really concerned with gearbox dimensions, layout, and torque ratings. Except swapping the engine i would like to know if anyone was able to keep the subaru's gearbox.
I searched the web for pics anf tech info but could'nt find anything substantial. I am therefore affraid to engage in such a project if adapting the subaru engine to the original porsche gearbox gearbox, or the subaru gearbox to the porsche drivetrain would turn out to be problematic. (i'm on a rather tight budget)
Any tech info or pics would be welcome.
Thank you.

P.s: Anyone out there interested in a 30,000 miles 2.0 FI engine? mine is for sale.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Other people have successfully mated a Subaru engine to the 914's gearbox. Kennedy Engineered Products should be able to provide an adapter plate for you. As for keeping the Suby's gearbox; that I think would be very difficult. A 901 gearbox in good shape should handle 250 Ft/lbs without abuse.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
A fresh one should be able to handle 200 lb-ft even with some abuse. MikeZ was "famous" for doing burnouts with his 3.0 Six conversion (~200 HP, ~200 lb-ft of torque) and had his stock gearbox last for years. Be careful about 1st gear (side-stepping the clutch at high RPMs will destroy it, even with a stock 1.8 motor!) and you should be able to thrash on it pretty well.

For pics (no dimensions that I recall), see:
http://home.san.rr.com/pb914/

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling

Last edited by Dave at Pelican Parts; 12-09-2004 at 08:45 AM..
Old 12-09-2004, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OCD project capitan

Garage
First of all, welcome to the board.

Second, if I was on a tight budget and know what i know now about 914's, i wouldn't undertake this project untill you can comfortably spend money. For now, i'd drive the 2.0.

As for the gear box, with a turbo motor, i would look into the 915 or the Subaru box as you suggested. I'm sure you can delete the transfer case off the back of the trans for the rear wheel drive line, but as for if it will fit or not, thats something your going to have to use the Subaru trans to see. As for the drive line, that shouldn't be to hard, but if your not a good fabriator/machinist or know someone who will make it for free, i would leave this project alone as it will become very pricy.

The 901 trans will handle 200hp on a frequent basis. The 3.2 with a chip is about as extreme as one can get, anything over that, your asking for consistant trany rebuild $$$$. The only way you can get away with more horse power is by keeping the tires small, but who wants to do that when you have so much power. If you can get $2000 for your 2.0, your giong to be spending 5 times that in modifications to make this project work. Like it or not, this conversion, just like the V8's, V6's, rotories, and 3.2 Carrera engines are all safely in the $10,000 range when_done_the_tried_and_true_way...IE: correctly. Sure you can half ass, but why? You won't have anything special, just another high HP POS 914.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
If you replace the intermediate plate with an uprated plate ( CarQuip has the one I have used) and the two bearings they can handle the power.

But you need to warm up the gearbox before you stomp on it.

The new bearings are a different material holding the races than what came for the factory.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg

Old 12-09-2004, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Banned

Both the tape and ruler are 24 inches.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The thing is that i have the subaru engine, gearbox, wiring harness and ECU lying in my garage.
And i got a great deal on the porsche, 1800$, rust-free (even the infamous battery compartment is rust free)

So apart from a radiator, fan and piping, the only investement should be labour (machining is free)
I confess i didn't do any swap of that kind, but my experience should be enough since I've worked on many engine swaps (incuding a Chevy LS1 engine into Volvo 740 )

The problem with the Subaru's tranny is that the shafts exit the tranny 8 cm (approx. 3.2 inches) too short compared to the porsche's. Is this an acceptable limit?

I'm thinking of using porsche wheel-ends of the shaft and weld them to the subaru's gearbox-ends.........
Old 12-10-2004, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned

Get longer axles from SAW. Or use the renagade Axlespacers the are about 3 inches.

Axles are the EZ part of the swap.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
OCD project capitan

Garage
I agree with steve. If you have a lathe and mill, make some adapters and use an axel that you can buy on its own and don't have to re-weld anytime something goes wrong (remember, hack job bad). Renegades high hp drive shaft kit is just shorter drive shafts that are stronger than stock and 4 steel adapters.

As for the shortness issue, i would move the engine back to get the stub axels in line where the stock 901 stub axels are. That would give you more room in the engine compartment, which I think is always good. Plus, i would cut out the frontal most section of the rear trunk for better acess to the engine. Then weld in a support section between the rear shock towers. I've seen this done on several race cars and its worth every bit of effort.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: