Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Selling the project...

I have sadly made the decision that I just won't have the time for my 914 restoration project. I have had great experiences with eBAY and was considering trying to sell it that way.
My concern is the shipping. I am thinking that it might seem a little ambitious to expect someone to pay for/help arrange shipping for a car that I only expect to get $1500 for to begin with.
Has anyone had any experience that could shed some light on this subject?
Old 12-12-2004, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OCD project capitan

Garage
Your looking atleast $800 to go the east coast if its a pushable rolling chassis. If it drives it might be a little cheaper. I'd try the local auto traider first, then go with ebay. Just state that shipping is up to the buyer. I have a friend who has bought several 914's on ebay withen 300miles of his house. Just be clear with the requirements.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
post pics....
Old 12-22-2004, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Part it out it would be worth more in parts if you are not done!!! A door handle here, a wheel there. Maybe you have a seat that isn't faded or cracked. You can make some bucks I bet. Especially if it is far from running condition.

1974 914/4 2.0
2006 Hummer H3
2005 Dakota
Old 12-22-2004, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Steve,
I will try to sell it running, because other than the oil smoke problem I have developed, the thing runs like a monster!
This is my first 914 so maybe I am just overly-impressed by its performance. But it just whips the hell out of my Alfa Spyder, which sort of hurts.
Compression is good and consistant, so I believe its a valve guide. But the oil smoke started when I was working on the motor, so it may be simple vacuum line mistakes.
Plus I replaced all of the shift bushings and it shifts really well also.
So I may keep it, the jury is still out. Holidays are here, other responsibilities take priority.
I will post pixs next week.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'd like to see the pics. I have a buddy that painted my car, he might be interested.

1974 914/4 2.0
2006 Hummer H3
2005 Dakota
Old 12-23-2004, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Here are some pics.
Bought the car six months ago. PO said it had a "blown starter." He hadn't driven in it five years.

It was a frayed primary. New starter and ignition switch and it ran like a scared monkey. Replaced shift linkages and bushings and it shifts! New Manta exhaust. All new ignition components except distributor. New rear window seals. New rear trunk hinges and Camp 914 shocks.

Issues: As I replaced the vacuum hoses and ignition, it developed a major smoking problem. Compression is at 140-140-130-140. So perhaps a dropped valve guide? Or vacuum hose issues? Hell hole is not too bad. No damage to suspension pick up points. Rockers are good. Some big rust holes in floor pan but seat mounts are secure.

Car was hit in front, and hood is slightly sprung. Still opens and closes well. Car was also hit on left rear. Rear panel has had a terrible "gorilla bondo job." No frame damage.

Old 12-26-2004, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: