Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Gas heater?

can anyone help me out w/ info on putting a gas heater in a 914? I'm finally ready to pick up a '74 next week, but it's got straight headers (so no heat). I've seen it done on 911's, but never on 914's. If not a gas heater, are there any other options? I'd like to figure a heat thing out w/o re-installing the exhaust so I can unload my 4-door grocery getter (and still keep my '83 SC) - my garage and driveway are quickly filling up : )

Old 06-12-1998, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Installing a gas heater is an option as these were an option on many VWs including the 411/412 series and many Porsches including the 911s. They were not an option on any of the 914s, however, which means that you would have to fabricate your own system. I suggested to a 914 colleague of mine in the Yukon Territory to consider a gas heater - a BA 4 in particular - as I believe that it could be "piped" into the exisiting heat exchanger system. The key, of course, is that it would be necessary to have the heat exchangers and the connections in order to insert this type of gas heater. My best suggestion to you is to buy SS heat exchangers and the heater tubes, and consider adding a gas heater only if you find the heat from the exchangers to be inadequate. This would be the simplest and likley the most cost-effectrive because the system was factory-designed. My 1970 914-4 has good exchangers and the heat is excellent for all but Winter weather (these cars aren't made for Winter anyway).
Old 06-12-1998, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

I was driving in my six conversion the other day, sitting in LA traffic, wondering what the best solution would be for adding heat. I have two sets of 914-6 heat exchangers, but I love the power and the sound I get from the headers that I have on there right now.

In the next few weeks, I'm going to be looking into alternative heating for the 914. I figure that there should be some type of piping or dryer hose tubing that I can thread across the headers and into the heating system in order to 'simulate' the heat exchangers being there. I don't want to lose any power from the engine by going to the stock heat exchangers, and I also don't want something that is going to rust out and become dangerous. I know that they make aluminum tubing for dryer hoses, I'm thinking that there should be some way to turn that into a heat exchanger alternative.

Like I always say, I buy more parts for my car at Home Depot than any other store...

Look for a tech article to come soon, if this is successful!

-Wayne
Old 06-13-1998, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
There are electrical kits available from JC Whitney, among other places. I'm sure that Wayne would be glad to be a source for you if you decide to go that route.

I've heard various things about the electrical jobs. One or two people have liked them a lot, but they seem to have been in the minority. I saw some calculations about how much energy it takes to put out a reasonable level of heat using 12V, and it was an awful lot of power.

It may work for you, or it might be good enough for defogging the window.

Another option would be to have someone wrap some metal around the headers. This wouldn't be cheap to fabricate, though, unless Wayne's idea about the aluminum hos works.

--DD
Old 06-15-1998, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: