Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Front calipers on rear?

Hey all-
I recently replaced my front calipers with rebuilt units. Braking is much nicer now, it used to pull hard to the left.....
I have rebuild kits for the calipers I took off. Is there any reason not to use them on the rear? Both of my rear calipers leak a bit around the E-brake shaft, I have no E-brake and don't miss it. I would rather rebuild the front calipers and put them on the back if it would be all right.

I am also missing one of the little plates that goes between the pad and the piston and a full set of pins. Does any one know where I can get these?

Thanks for any help....

Karl P
Old 12-17-2004, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OCD project capitan

Garage
Karl, what year is your 914? Yes, the fronts will fit on the back, BUT certain years had different offsets. I can't remember off the top of my head which. I'll get back to you.

Another issue is now adjusting the brake bias. You do not want the rears to lock up before the fronts.... I might solve that problem by putting sportier pads on the front and stock on the back. When the fronts will have more bite when they heat up, they will grab more than the rears. It is a liablity though, so be carefull
Old 12-17-2004, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It is a '74

Years ago, in my younger drunken days, I had a Dodge Aspen that had a leaky brake line before the split for the fronts. Thinking that two working brakes was better than none, I clamped off the line so that all I had was rear brakes.
Interesting way to drive around. My sphincter would tighten any time I saw the color red.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
70-72 had the "early" offset in the caliper & rotor & mounting lugs; 72-76 had the "late" offset. The change was in the middle of the 72 model year.

You can install an aftermarket adjustable proportioning valve and set it up so that the rears never lock before the fronts. Probably a better way to do that than mixing pad compounds.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-17-2004, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The stock proportioning valve is there. Is there enough adjustability to it? Probably not or you would not have suggested an aftermarket one.

I'm guessing the caliper will bolt right up. Any thoughts on where to get pins and plates?
Perhaps I should call 1-888-280-7799. I hear they are pretty good with old Porsche parts.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Karl,

I don't think your 74 fronts will bolt up..
the alignment will be wrong to fit over the rotor...
I think its the early (70-72) fronts that bolt up with only 1/16th needed...

someone will correct me if I'm wrong..
sorry.

brant
Old 12-18-2004, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: