Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rotesserie(sp?)

Does anybody have plans for a body rotesserie for the 914? What was supposed to be a "rust free California body" has rust in the logitudinal near the left rear suspension points as well has replaced floorpans under bondo. Also, has anyone worked with Ospho or Corroless? What is the function of these chemicals in the battle against rust.

Thanks,
Kevin Mott
Going where no rust prevention has ever been.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
Ospho is great stuff. I use it all the time. It turns the rust to black oxide.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Coroless is a product that you paint directly over rust, and it chemically stabilizes and seals the surface. It dries a red-brown color, and then you then can paint directly over it with whatever color you like. It's a good idea to clean things up with a wire brush beforehand and follow with a cleaner to remove the wax and grease before you get started. I used it on my A-arms 4 years ago before painting them black, and they still look great today. It's a good alternative to sandblasting and painting, especially if you don't have a sandblasting setup. I wouldn't recommend using it on bodywork or anything you want to look perfect, but it's great for little odds and ends or something like trailing arms which would be nice to protect, but don't need to look super smooth. It's basically the same as POR-15, but POR-15 seems to be preferred by most and it's also available in many colors. Check out www.POR-15.com for more information.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

What I find a bit confusing is, after reading the Tech Article on longitudional replacement, is that both Ospho and POR-15 seem to do the same job ie:convert rust and adhere to the surface. Does the Ospho work as a primer and the POR-15 (or Corroless) as a paint? Since I'm working on the inside of the longitudionals finish isn't that important but rust is.

Thanks,
Kevin Mott
Adventures in Oxide
Old 12-28-2004, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
Ospho is a treatment. You primer and paint over it.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OCD project capitan

Garage
As for the rotisserie, there are plans out there, but its not a very complicated part. If you've got a mig welder and some steel tubing, its a cake walk. The casters i would look at www.cheapcasters.com unless you already have them. The basic concept is hooking up the the bumper recepticals and then two yokes on either side. I've seen several design types, including this one on ebay not too long ago http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7922840017
Just make sure you can turn the car upside down without hitting the bottom cross members, make SURE that you have cross members connecting the bottom end yokes together to keep the yokes in line with eachother, and consider the center of gravity of the chassis when making the attachment peices. You don't want the chassis to swing violently upside down as soon as you start to rotate it.

Good luck, its a great tool to have.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to porsche914_73
Amused:

I plan to do the same work as you (rustproofing inside the chassis that is) using a tool I purchased long time ago on JC Whitney (part No. 81UD5385B) They also list a "Rustproofing Chemical" but don't like it since it sounds more like Goo than permanent rustproofing.
If you don't mind, share what you find out here or to my email.
A buddy of mine (actually a carpenter by trade) drew this sketch for me. Is supposed to be made out of 4x4 lumber and should hold up the weight of a plain 914 body, not sure about the flex. Should be as cheap as one made out of metal and lot easier to build. I thought it was funny at first, but then, It looks like it could work. You still will need to fabricate the bumper brackets out of metal though...

Merry Xmas.
'99 Boxster with only 23K miles

Last edited by porsche914_73; 12-29-2004 at 05:37 PM..
Old 12-29-2004, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: