Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Starter Solenoid Removal/Disassembly

I have what I think is an intermittent solenoid. I was hoping to clean the contacts inside. Got the starter out (thanks to Pelican archives for location of hidden upper bolt). But I'm having one heck of a time unscrewing the two bolts that hold the solenoid to the starter. They're stuck. I've tried penetrating stuff. Whacked on them. I just can't seem to turn these things. I'm worrying about stripping the heads. Anybody had this problem? Am I missing something? Thanks.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
OK, borrowed a heat gun, got the solenoid out.

Now, how do you get this thing apart? I can't see how to remove the end. Do you have to unsolder those wires sticking through?

Happy New Year.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Answering my own thread again. Yes, Steve, you need to unsolder those two wires poking through and the top of the solenoid will come right off.

Cleaned the arced and blackened contacts inside the solenoid with steel wool until they were smoother and shiny orange again, then soldered everything back together. Reinstalled starter.

Car has started twenty times in a row now, where before, it would not start about every second or third time. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say my intermittent starting problem is fixed.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Way to go!!!! Sorry nobody responded.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

did a regular solder gun work forthe wires, or was it a higher temp silver solder?

I need to do the same thing on a solenoid I have.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I used my cheapo Radio Shack 60W soldering iron with 60/40 solder. It took awhile, but I was able to get it unsoldered by just holding the iron on there about 30 seconds and slowly pushing the cap up and off. After getting the cap off, you'll probably need to clean out the holes with the hot iron to make it easier to feed the wires back up.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: