Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914GT wanted USA or Europe

I am looking for a 914/6GT. I still am not sure whether the one at Auto Atlanta for 95000US is over priced or whether that is the value of these cars !
Any help with this find would be most appreciated!
Thanks guys!
Old 01-01-2005, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I don't think you'll find cars at AA priced at "value". isn't that GT only an M471 car anyways?
Old 01-01-2005, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

A M471 six is basicly a 914-6 GT for the street ,at least that is what it says in the sales literature for the car that comes from the factory not the dealer seeing how the M471 option was far and few between.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

as far as I understand there were only about 30 customer road cars and a m471 package was an option!
Old 01-01-2005, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
OCD project capitan

Garage
There were only 20 or so factory cars with the M471 package produced. Dave would know the numbers better than i would. But besides those that were delivered from the factory, the M471 was a dealer option. So the dealers could install the flares and whatever else you wanted to put on the 914-6. The package was the factories way of trying to get the car homolginized for a specific SCCA racing class inwhich the 914-6gt's would have dominated. But SCCA didn't bite and the 914-6 was but into a higher class than it could compete with.... Kind of like the same rules the PCA and POC have now.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I guess it depends on if you want a 914-6 with flares and a couple other mods (M471) or if you want a real GT (engine, etc)? I would think there is a huge difference between a real GT and an M471 car.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I think the thing at the moment guys is that in the UK we are getting nearly 2$ to the pound and that is very much in my favour at the moment.

Im still getting confused about the M471 customer package and a real GT? What is this all about a 914/6 with steel flairs and a couple of Mods? surely the chassis number is what the GTs are all about and yes some had 180bHp and some had 200.Are you all saying that a factory raced car is only the one I should be going for?

By the way thanks for all your responses. This is a fantastic web site with some great GURUs . your help is really appreciated.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'm not telling you what car you should go for, just pointing out that obviously a real GT is going to be different and much more expensive than an M471 car. you should probably do some research if you are planning on spending that much money. you might want to check out http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/root .
Old 01-02-2005, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I hate to bash Automobile Atlanta, but I have purchased 3 seperate times from them and all three times had a problem. Personally, I would not shop there again.

Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 01-02-2005, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
OCD project capitan

Garage
I think your trying to get too specific with the M471 and GT. A 914-6(any 914 from Porsche with a chassis #914........)+ M471(steel flares, front oil cooler, alloy fixed roof, fiberglass bumpers and hoods)=GT car. The motors veried depending on the class and rules. So thats harder to specifie.

Now the specifics as to who made the car into a GT is more relivent. Wether it was a factory produced car with race heritage (Big $$$$), or a privateer produced car with race heritage (still lots-o-$$$$), or a 914-6 later converted is what you need figure out. They are all GT cars....

The part most people don't get is we're not talking about a 911RS. Sure there are plenty of parts out there and replicas of the RS, it wasn't Porsches goal. They made RS to make homologization rules. The 9146GT was also made to make homologization rules, but they didn't produce all the cars that way. Being that Porsche was looking to bend the rules and save money, they produce only a few chassis and let the "kits" go out on the market and produce the rest.

Last edited by BigD9146gt; 01-02-2005 at 12:44 PM..
Old 01-02-2005, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I don't have production numbers for the M-471 cars. What I do (think I) know is:

Porsche wasn't very thorough about documenting what they did. There is some controversy about the M-471 option; most of the info I have seen appears to come from George at AA and pretty much calls those cars a "street GT". Meaning, it has the flared fenders and slightly wider wheels with spacers--and that's just about all.

There were "about" 25 GTs built by the factory. (I've seen lists on a couple of web sites but don't have them handy right now.) They were raced in different venues, and many of the details--brakes, engines, etc.--were different from car to car. And possibly from event to event for a given car. Most seem to have used various 2.0 engines, from street engines for the "Marathon de la Route" cars up through full-race 2.0s for some events. Some cars may have had larger-displacement engines fitted for some races.

The factory produced 500 "GT kits", with a pamphlet detailing what you can do to your 914-6 to use it for "sporting purposes". They had hoped that the 500 kits would be enough to homologate the GT, but the SCCA disagreed. The FIA did let them run at Le Mans, among other events. The kits evidently were not all sold as complete kits (they may not have been complete kits even) so bits and pieces have appeared on various cars over the years. The factory's intent was that a customer could buy the kit (or the parts) and convert their car to GT spec (or partial GT spec).

Is a "real" GT worth a premium? Depends on how you define a "real" GT. One with a race history is worth more than one without. A documented factory-built car is worth more than a plain Six that was converted somewhere down the road. Is a "street GT" worth a premium? Probably, at least somewhat, if it was built by the factory. Probably to a lesser extent if quality work was done by someone else later on, even.

Is the AA car worth what they're asking? I can't tell you.

What is it you want, anyway? A nifty car to drive around in? Probably better to get a 914 that is built the way you want it to be. A piece of history? Then a GT with a race history is what you want. ...And so on...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-02-2005, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
OCD project capitan

Garage
I just stumbed onto this page... good info!

http://www.stazak.com/914/gt/car/car.html
Old 01-04-2005, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I agree with DD. The M471 was basically just flares.
Most GT's were team built, not factory, and there was a wide variation in the constructions. Most had a short race history. By about 1973 most drivers had moved to the 911. So most GT's sort of disappeared years ago. The whereabouts of most are now a mystery as are their VIN's. I know there were many raced, but identifying them is very hard for some reason. They rarely become available. From my own research I can attest that tracing these cars is extremely difficult.

DP
Old 01-07-2005, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

914/gt this is the car

http://www.stazak.com/914/gt/car/car.html

9141430415 Gemini Blue M-471 Package

So it was a porsche built car!

thanks guys

steve
Old 01-08-2005, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Oh yes, it is a factory built M471. However that does not make it a GT. The flares are only one small part of what is required to make a GT. It is a nice car no doubt. The asking price is a dream price. Actual value? Good question.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Check out the latest Excellence for a story on a 914/6GT.

Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 01-13-2005, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: