Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil Coolers

What are the best options for Oil Coolers?

I have heard that getting an old RX7 oil cooler and strapping it to the front of the car and running steel braided return hoses are one of the best ways to do this.

Thoghts and opinions?

1974 914/4 2.0
2006 Hummer H3
2005 Dakota
Old 01-02-2005, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

used coolers are questionable... If there is any particulate in there, then you have just introduced that to your engine...

rotary coolers probably are a tiny bit safter in the particulate area..

BUT....
the RX-7 cooler has the wrong size of fittings.. To use one and do it right you would need to have the cooler opened up and new fittings tig'd on...

hardly worth it.
I personally think fluidyne are the best, but there are lots of other good ones too..

what is your oil temp doing.. If you need one then, I'd buy new and run lines to the front so that you had clean air.

brant
4 gallons of gas
and 1826 lbs (wet)
Old 01-03-2005, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I keep saying, there is no one "best". For just about anything, frankly!

What is it you are trying to do? How much heat are you trying to shed--a lot or a little? What's your budget? How averse to cutting holes in the tub are you? There are lots of questions to answer before you can figure out what the "right" setup for you is.

In general, coolers at the front of the car work much better than those elsewhere. Lots of cool, clean, high-pressure air up there. But you have to route hoses to and from the cooler, as well as getting the warmed air away from it adequately. All of those usually involve cutting up the chassis.

I know people who have modified the RX-7 coolers successfully. But you have to be really really really really careful not to get any scrap into the cooler when you cut off the old fittings. ... There was some reason not to use the existing fittings, but I don't remember what it was. They may be too small for the amount of oil that our engines need to push through them...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-03-2005, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: