Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Webcam lifter problem solved??

Just got off the phone with Debie from Webcam to ask about the lifter situation. She said that the problem has been solved with their lifters, and that they should work fine unless excessive spring tension is used. She said that they switched suppliers and that there should be no more problems. Can this be true???

Mike
Old 01-05-2005, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
Best bet would be to ask Jake the situation, since he's taken a personal interest on T-IV lifters.

Old 01-05-2005, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yeah...no kidding. However...I mentioned his name to Debbie..and she said he calls almost every day over there, and that he is aware of their current situation. Jake......can you verify this????
Old 01-05-2005, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rouser, where did you get that penguin tag?

1974 914/4 2.0
2006 Hummer H3
2005 Dakota
Old 01-05-2005, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I do deal with Web alot and Debbie is like my sister! BUT, I have not talked to them in a multitude of weeks since I noted a trend with testing that I wanted to solidly verify.

I answered a post about this on my forum directly, read it over there...

To my knowledge web has not changed lifters since they had to find a replacement for the Johnsons- If something has recently changed no one has told me and I have not seen any differences in the tests...

BTW- I'm over budget on the testing. I either have to set up a "lifter fund" and get some contributions or the testing will not continue. 12,000 bucks in 5 months is taking food off the table!
www.massivetype4.com
Old 01-05-2005, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

When Johnson stopped making the tappets a few years ago, I would take worn original lifters, measure the O.D. , hardness test them, and then resurface the face and parkerize them. Seems to work good for me.
I have heard the Johnson tappets quality is back to normal. But I do not have direct experience to prove it.
What camshaft casting were you using for the tests?
Old 01-06-2005, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

What does "parkerize" mean?
66 Red &White Ghia 2liter 914 engine ..restoring it from a californicated custom soon
90 Maroon and Silver Conversion Van ..the shag mobile..family car/camper
94 saturn wagon ..the wifes pos
Old 01-06-2005, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Parkerize is a phosphate coating like what is etched onto the cam lobes. It aids during the break in process.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Camgrinder,
I would love to talk to you about these issues and try some of your lifters and parkerizing. I have seen various effects with different shops and their thoughs and would love to try yours!

Please email me at boss@aircooledtechnology.com and lets get together.
www.massivetype4.com
Old 01-06-2005, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: