Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Cokeaholic
Starting up

My car stopped starting the other day and i can't figure out why. the symptoms are as follows:

-The voltage meter doesn't move down a volt when starting (like it used to)
-when the key is turned in the ignition, the radio's display dies so i know that is probably not the problem
-the car starter motor doesn't turn over even though the battery level is fine
-I took a screw driver to the solenoid to start it that way and the starter motor just spun but it didn't sound like it was spinning the flywheel

any suggestions?

oh the engine is a carbureted 1.7 ltr. if that helps at all
Old 01-10-2005, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You know, the usual-
Clean your battery posts
clean your grounding points
clean the connections on the solenoid

try again with the screw driver across the solenoid post. You want to connect a path from the top conection, where the battery cable hooks up, to the spade connector that carries juice from your relay board. The solenoid, as its function, will send battery power to the starter motor after the solenoid has kicked the gear forward to engage the flywheel.
{{ You should probably make sure the vehicle is out of gear before trying this. }}

Sounds like you may have an ignition switch problem. Have you got lots of keys hanging off that 30 year old switch?

Karl
Old 01-10-2005, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

My first, mayby second 914 had that same problem. I mounted a push button switch under the dash and would push it with my knee. I would turn the key, put both hands on the wheel and say, car start. My friends thought it was neat until they figured it out.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Cokeaholic
Ok well now it's starting up if i use the screw driver method from the solenoid, but i went under the dash and unplugged the ignition wires and i couldn't get it to start that way, so i doubt it's the switch. on the other hand, i could get the gas flowing using it... So i'm a bit confused on aas what to try next. suggestions still greatly accepted
Old 01-15-2005, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: