Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Exhaust/mufflers

I posted a want ad on the Renegade page regarding exhaust for a 73 2.0l OTHER THAN Bursch, and I've been flooded with emails telling me how great Bursch's are .. so I thought I'd post something here.

Let me start by saying that I've had several 914's - 3 of which were 73/74 2.0l .. I've used Ansa 4-tip mufflers and Bursch Quiet .. I know that there are plenty of tests to the contrary, but I didn't notice much difference in performance between the two. I should say that I do not auto-x or anythying like that, its strictly my daily driver - rarely gets much above 4000 rpms (so power differences above 4k don't matter to me). My position is if the performance is relatively close, I'd rather go with the one that looks better (to me anyway) which is the Ansa .. on top of that, the ansa system I had in the past lasted quite a long time while the Bursch rusted out (tailpipe) rather quickly ..

So I'm looking for another Ansa system right now - used or new (I haven't been able to find anyone that carries them - were they discontinues?). I've also seen a "sport exhaust" that has two pipes (situated rather close together) coming out of the back - I've seen them at swap meets but can't find anyone who carries them either - anyone know anything about these?

Sorry so long - any opinions/help/suggestions are much apprec! Thanx ..

-Paul
Old 05-26-1998, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Off the top of my head, I know that we can supply original OEM factory mufflers if you're interested. I think that the factory muffler is one of the best out there, and that 911-type hot dog look can't be beat.

We have one 914 2.0L muffler in stock, new for $315.

I will have Tom check on the availability of the Ansa 2.0L mufflers.

Thanks,

Wayne
Old 05-27-1998, 12:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I know that some places carry Ansa exhausts. Some of the other 914 parts places, and at least one VW Bug mail-order outfit. I think they had a version for the 914. I think that means that Tom and Wayne will be able to find one for ya.

As for the "sport exhaust", my guess is that most of the ones out there are like mine. Conversions of stock mufflers. Someone took a stock muffler, cut off the single outlet and welded up the hole, then put two new holes with outlets in the center. It looks interesting and different, and it sounds reasonably "mean". At idle it has a really low rumble that gets added to the sounds my blown-out stock muffler makes.

I removed it for two reasons. First, it's illegal in my autoX class. Second, I was afraid that the extra noise would wake up the neighbors when I left at 7AM on autocross weekends. That low note really reverberates inside my garage!

--DD
Old 05-27-1998, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to bonz
My 914 has a Super Sprint muffler on it. It is very efficent since the four pipes go into it and four pipes come out. I had problems with salt during the winter rusting the ends on the orignal, so this shorter muffler was the answer
Old 06-17-1998, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: