Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

BMW calipers on the rear question.

I bought reman. BMW calipers and put them on my trailing arms, which are off the car. The rotor is not centered in the middle of the opening in the caliper. Is this normal and can they be shimmmed? John Rogers are you out there? Thanks, Pete Carroll
Old 01-15-2005, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OCD project capitan

Garage
Yes they can be shimmed with washers, no big deal. And just because the rotor isn't exactly in the center of the caliper isn't that big of a deal either. People will tell you that the caliper "HAS TO BE CENTERED... NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!" and thats a large load of BS. As long as both pistons are in proper working order... installing washers, and being off center, is not anything to worry about. The main things are the obvious things: like keeping the pistons in proper working order. If they stick, then you have a problem.

In your case, if you have the BMW calipers up front, make sure you have a bias valve, or higher grade pads in the front appose to the rear. I personally really liked the BMW's in front, and my stock fronts on the rear with a T inplace of the bias unit. That seamed to be the best combo for the stock 4 lug, solid rotor M struts.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The one pad barely fits between the rotor and the piston, so I need to shim. Thanks
Old 01-15-2005, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Acox914
what are you doing dor a parking brake?
Old 01-15-2005, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yes I'm here thanks. I use the BMW on both ends with a tee and did that since I went to the six as it moved a little more weight to the back. From what I have felt, all four wheel seem to be braking about equally although the rears get hotter probably due to the extra engine heat. The pads show a whiter color due to the heat I think. I used about 1/32 inch washers I think and they ended centered pretty well. I'd get them as close as I could and make sure the caliper opening is parallel with the rotor especially both axially and radially. Good luck
Old 01-15-2005, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Aaaron, No hand brake will be used. Leave in 1st gear, tire to the curb, wheel chock, etc.....
Old 01-15-2005, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

It would be nice to see someone make an inboard parking brake. Small cable calipers mounted on the transaxle with the disc between the CV joint and stub coming from the trans kind of like on a Jag. Caliper choice would be endless. There are a few cars with driveshaft e-brakes maybe plant transporters, they have cable caliper e-brakes.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I had to put some pads on my new Mini-S and the rear caliper/parking brake is very similay to the 914 design??!! They use a lever to push the back of the pad against the rotor!! As soon as I can get some time I plan to see what would be required to make one fit, or someone elese here could check too? There is a very small mechanical calioper available that I tried in the past but it did not hold up.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Acox914
Quote:
Originally posted by 914gem
It would be nice to see someone make an inboard parking brake. Small cable calipers mounted on the transaxle with the disc between the CV joint and stub coming from the trans kind of like on a Jag. Caliper choice would be endless. There are a few cars with driveshaft e-brakes maybe plant transporters, they have cable caliper e-brakes.
neat idea... like the jag e types. one rotor on each ouput shaft? or just 1 rotor? that would be way cool...wilwood spot caliper
Old 01-15-2005, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
It's been done a few times. It's been talked about a whole lot more. Clay Perrine was checking out who would pay for such a setup a year or two back, and got fairly few responses.

Even if it "is no big deal", I still would prefer to have the caliper opening centered over the rotor. Especially if you can get it there with a couple of simple shims.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-16-2005, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

On thw way.

I have got the park brake done, and currently have it out to the machine shop for production.

Mine is setup to allow you to fit 944 turbo calipers to the rear of the car, and install a mechanical caliper for the park brake.

Picts are coming as soon as the parts get back from the machinist.
70 914 /6 Factory Six. (Elwood)
95 BMW 540i (Inga)
Old 01-19-2005, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: