Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to bd1308
Uhoh

okay, I looked at my points....and sure enough they were worn. Went to FLAPS and got a new point set, and put it in, put the grease and gapped it to .012 . Started the car, worked better but needed to be adjusted again. Got back to the parking lot and started to tinker (since it WORKED!) and removed the AAR. In my car, the Cold Start valve is linked from the (fuel rail?) to the CSV to the AAR and then to this unit thing next to the ignition coil. Now when i was taking the AAR out I broke the link between the AAR and the CSV. So i moved everything around and i dunno whats going on. I will attach picture when i get home. But everything IS balanced......and capped off so there arent any leaks, BUT I am getting a little hesitation and missing. I did re-adjust the dwell, would timing cause me to have this missing?
Old 01-20-2005, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

what year and model??????? 1.7, 2.0?
Old 01-20-2005, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

dang...i erased it....1974 D-Jet 2.0L I could really use a pic of the engine compartment (without the air box) to explain what i did....
Old 01-20-2005, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

i re-did the points, and it runs a little smoother now, but I still would like to get everything like it's supposed to be, not just so "it works"
Old 01-20-2005, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned

Here's a '73 2.0

Old 01-20-2005, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

alright....i need some help...what is the fixture on the fan shroud for? it's next to the cable for the thermostat, and mine has one hose that connects to the air cleaner, and another one (actually a small-diameter vinyl water hose) that hangs to the bottom of the engine tray? also, what's the little circular object thing (looks like a small SMALL can of coke with a fitting out the back and one out of the side. also has an adjustment on the top....i just looked closely at your engine alfred and I will need to take some snapshots of mine...some PO screwed the whole thing up and I think that what i was referring to is the fuel pressure regulator but it was connected to the AAR???? It's messed up, where is BGMan so I can take a look at his engine?
Old 01-21-2005, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
If you look on the main Pelican (Porsche) page under "914" over on the left hand side, you'll see a link that says "EFI Hose Diagrams". Click it, and it takes you to the following page:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_specs/914_fuel_diagrams.htm

The "fixture" you're talking about is the "flashback valve", sometimes called the "flame trap". Its main purpose is to T together the vent lines from the cylinder heads. It also has a screen in it which is supposed to stop (or near enough) any flames from a backfire from propogating back from the intake through the head vents into the crankcase, where the oil vapors might possibly catch on fire and cause Bad Things to happen to the motor. (Almost absurdly unlikely, BTW.)

I'm not sure about the "coke can". Check the photo above and the diagram in my link to see if you can see the component you're talking about. I'm guessing it's either the fuel pressure regulator (on a stand on the left-rear engine tin) or the decel valve (on the same bracket as the manifold pressure sensor on the right side of the engine bay).

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling

Last edited by Dave at Pelican Parts; 01-24-2005 at 02:07 PM..
Old 01-24-2005, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

well dave, im back in bowling green without the car....i smashed it up. I will take a look at that when i can, and thanks for your help. Now i just need to source body parts for this car
Old 01-24-2005, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I know this is an old thread, but in comparing the hose layout diagram at http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/tec...el_diagrams.htm , I find that I don't have an air cleaner. I also notice that the hose under the upper-left most hose in the bottom diagram, I don't have either. I can see on my car where it plugs into (the right side of the hose) but see nothing from where it would originate (the left side of the diagram). I am trying to determine just what's been done to my '75- 2.0 It's running like crap now, and I'm wondering how much these missing hoses matter....(it did run well for 2 weeks after I bought it only 2 months ago...)
Old 08-08-2005, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The "air cleaner" is the box that the paper air filter lives in. Do you mean "charcoal cannister"? The late-74 and later cars have a different charcoal cannister setup from the one shown in the 2.0 diagram.

The cannister in the later cars lives in the engine bay, not on top of the fuel tank. Instead of having two hoses running through the rocker panel on the left side, there is a single small hose running through the center tunnel. Look for a very small (~3mm) metal fitting. A small-sized vacuum hose fits onto that, and goes to the charcoal cannister--this carries the fuel vapors from the "expansion tank" on top of the fuel tank. The cannister will have one hose coming from the fan shroud or the engine tin, and the other will go to the air cleaner.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-08-2005, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I think some things have been removed on my car, like the emissions stuff. I think I'll need to borrow a digital camera and post a photo up here. I also found 2 wires from the main harness that come out with the wires that go to the distributer and coil that aren't connected to anything.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

i have the same two wires disconnected...
Old 08-23-2005, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Looks like they were going to emissions stuff. Just dropped the car off at the shop after being unable to diagnose the 'no power under 3500 rmp' issue. Had to have it towed to a shop for repair as after 2 blocks i couldn't get it to go faster then 3 or 4 mph before dying. ugh.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

so you're not the do-it-selfer, or are you new to these cars?

hello, I'm britt by the way....i haven't been here in a long time.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
there are two (maybe 3) unconnected wires from the harness that "hang out there". if i remember, they are for an altitude compensating ....... "thingy"/sensor/transducer.....
73 914 2.0 CIS #80
74 914 1.8L L-jet
83 911SC
Old 08-24-2005, 04:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

only L-Jet had that altitude compensation thingy....

one is definately for the thermocouple underneath the intake plenum...it works with the cold start valve, just don't remember what its called....

one of those wires has 12V in it, so wrap that up....mine was sparking and making wierd fireworks at night....
Old 08-24-2005, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

"so you're not the do-it-selfer, or are you new to these cars?"

While I am new to these cars, I'm also a do-it-yourselfer, albeit a green one. I just got tired of going through the car testing, and replacing and not finding anything. Summer is almost over, and I want to be driving the car before it goes into the garage for the winter! Actually, my hope is that the shope I took it to will just diagnose the problem, and then I'll get it home and do the repairs myself.

Good to meet you Britt!
Old 08-24-2005, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

i've been there many times over the two year of 914 ownership.
I've always wanted a old car, and I am actually very happy that this is the old car I recieved. Good luck!
Old 08-24-2005, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Well it turned out to be the fuel pump after all- exactly what I thought it was. Unfortunately the shop I took it to not only diagnosed it, but replaced it on their own without asking first and charged me a fortune in labor to do so. ugh.
It still hesitates a little under 3000 rpm, but I think it's due to a worn throttle body plenum, or whatever that's called- the seal isn't so good. But I was driving around happily for 3 hours last night enjoying the evening!
Old 08-25-2005, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by robertj
Well it turned out to be the fuel pump after all- exactly what I thought it was. Unfortunately the shop I took it to not only diagnosed it, but replaced it on their own without asking first and charged me a fortune in labor to do so. ugh.
It still hesitates a little under 3000 rpm, but I think it's due to a worn throttle body plenum, or whatever that's called- the seal isn't so good. But I was driving around happily for 3 hours last night enjoying the evening!
if your car is a 73+ pm me your addy...I have a new TPS with your name on it.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: