Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

webcam 86a

Does this cam run head temps cooler than stock fi cam? Does it have longer exhaust duration?? What do you guys think of this cam in general?

Mike
Old 01-25-2005, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

anyone????
Old 01-26-2005, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Have you checked the specs on http://www.webcamshafts.com ? The 86a is, as I recall, a very agressive grind that trades low-end torque for high-RPM power. It has more duration in both intake and exhaust, significant overlap, and lots of lift. You will need to rev the motor high enough that upgrading the valve train (specifically the springs) is necessary, plus you'll want higher compression than stock because it will "leak out" during the overlap when both intake and exhaust valves are open.

I don't know about the head temps.

The cam will absolutely not work with the stock-type fuel injection (D-jet or L-jet).

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-26-2005, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Would an 86 web be better??? I am building a 2056, with stock 71mm crank, stock 2 liter heads. About where does the power band kick in with an 86a????

Mike
Old 01-26-2005, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Not sure where the power band kicks in. The 86 is supposed to be milder and an "all-around street cam", presumably meaning that it doesn't give up much low-end and doesn't require you to wind the motor up to 7K.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-26-2005, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I trust you will be running carbs, so my suggestion would be to run the 86b cam with at least a set of 40 IDF, 44's would be better. You will not be dissapointed in the performance.

75 Slantnose V8
03 S-10 Extended cab stepside in Yellow
72 914 Parts car
Old 01-26-2005, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Member w/ Title Problems

I'd personally run a 163/86b. 10:1 CR, stock valve sizes. Should rip @ss, and that's really the point. Also, the 163/86b cam runs split duration, which will help head temps to at least some degree.

1989 Chevy Silverado 3500 - 454TBI, 4x4, 8 gallons/mile
Old 01-28-2005, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I've been running a 1.8L engine with an 86a for 3 years now in my F Prod car.
The cam would be great for an aggressive street engine.
You don't need big valves or dual springs to make it work.
HD springs are a must though, as the powerband is from 4500-6500 rpm.
The valve lift is .435" which is a bit more than stock and you might need to clearance the pistons depending on the CR.
It will work with unmodified heads but if you let it breath the engine really comes alive.
I have chassis dyno results that show about 125 RWHP with stock size SS valves, ported, 11.5:1 CR, modified 40IDF carbs, etc.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: