Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
clutch pedal on floor after clutch replacement

guys,

i replaced my clutch a couple weeks ago and its finally nice, and warm enough to take it for a drive today but there's a problem. i just noticed my clutch pedal is all the way to the floor. if i pull it out and let it go it goes back to the floor again. any ideas what i did wrong when i replaced the clutch. i still have a good month or so before it's really warm enough to drive it, it was just 40 degrees today and believe it or not it feels like a heat wave! anyways, got any ideas on how to fix this problem!

thanks

scotty
Old 01-30-2005, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bd1308
something in the pedal cluster broke....i believe that pedal is unde constant tension between the pedal cluster and the clutch assembly itself....somebody please chime in if i'm wrong.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
well,

i adjusted the clutch cable and it brought the pedal back, now the problem is that there is no more threads on the clutch cable for adjustment. i didn't try to drive it yet because i know i didn't really fix it right. any more suggestions guys

thanks

scotty
Old 01-30-2005, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to auh
I had that problem when my clutch cable snaped
Old 01-30-2005, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The pedal drops to the floor board if the cable snaps or you are putting a new one so you can get to the clevis pin easily. The threaded portion of the cable needs to be in about 1/3 of the threads on the front clevis and make sure the rear outer cable has seated solidly over the clutch tube where it exits the firewall underneath. You may have to add a spacer after the trunion block, I always have,usually about 1 inch is about right. Before I tighten the nut I pull the pedal up all the way with a bungee cord so I will know when the cable is actually getting tight. Cycle the pedal several times to make sure the adjustment is good then tighten the second lock nut tightly. Good luck
Old 01-30-2005, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
thanks for the info guys. when i replaced the clutch and flywheel, i removed the clutch cable from the transmission only. it is a good cable, i replaced it last year. the spacer idea is good but i didn't have a spacer on it before it and worked before i took the transmission out so it makes me wonder if i have to adjust something inside the transmission. any other ideas before i make up a spacer for the clutch cable.

thanks

scotty
Old 01-31-2005, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
It won't take much realignment of engine/transaxle to effect clutch pedal in a major way. I've never put in the abovementioned spacer. It seems like a good idea though. Last time I dropped/ reinstalled the engine I had too much free cable, too. I had to undo the clevis at the pedal and spin it as far as possible (without interference in movement) onto the cable end in order to have enough threads to adjust at the clutch. I have also had this happen "by itself", but the cable was unravelling at the pully. It was pretty obvious once pully was off. You could try some temp spacers at the clutch arm end to see if function exists....

My gallery page
Old 01-31-2005, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: