Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question Optima battery probs.

I bought a Optima 34 R last Fall. My car has been sitting for over 6 weeks in the garage due to the lousy weather here. Finally, today I got a chance to drive it and the battery was dead. After a jump, and it ran for a while the battery was fine. Is this normal? Also, the battery does not fit the tray flat. It rides up on the lip of the tray. I thought the 34 R was the proper battery for these cars?
Old 02-01-2005, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Six weeks is quite a while to go without a charge. Your radio or something else could be leaking a small current too.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Put a disconnect switch to your negitive side of the battery. turn it off when your not using the car regularly.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
A disconnect switch would have to be huge to handle the starting current. I am not sure that is a good solution.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Buy a Battery Tender or other trickle charger. They're great for these foul-weather/salt months. I think mine was like 15 or 20 bucks and it has a trickle charge as well as a more powerful charge if the voltage is lower. It had adapters to hookup clamps to the posts or more permanently with ring connectors to hook on the post clamp bolt.

Aaron
Old 02-02-2005, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OCD project capitan

Garage
Eddy, the disconnect switch is heave enough, and it is a good solution for a number of reasons...
1) Great anti theft device
2)Purfect for doing electrial work on the car (simple twist and your no longer connected, as opposed to having to undo the clamp every time)
3)Some come with a small inline wire with fuse to keep a clock or radio's memory, but not enough to start the car with)

Another thing about the Optimas, is most chargers won;t charge them b/c of an internal regulater device. Sometimes you need to hook a regular acid battery up to the optima and charge the two in line... IE, acid battery (+) to Optima (+), acid battery (-) to Optima (-), charger to acid (-) and Optima (+) or either way. That tricks the charger to charge normally.

Last edited by BigD9146gt; 02-02-2005 at 03:01 PM..
Old 02-02-2005, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Don...

Not sure what you are talking about. Putting batteries in series (+ to - and - to +) will give you 24 volts. That will cause all kinds of problems. As for the disconnect, is there one made especially for cars?
Old 02-02-2005, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
OCD project capitan

Garage
Eddy, your right, i changed the original post.

Couldn;t find one from our host, but this is it:
http://www.batteriesareus.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=64&osCsid=dc09de7728bb169db08b02327374ecc0
Should be able to find one at a local auto parts store too.

Last edited by BigD9146gt; 02-02-2005 at 03:05 PM..
Old 02-02-2005, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Don... Thanks for the link on the disconnect. Looking at the photo I can see it is going to work fine for my needs. A picture is worth a thousand words. I like the idea of being able to disconnect the battery quickly when I need to work on the electrical system.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Eddy, for the Optima to sit flat on your battery tray, the bottom of the Optima has to be trimmed a little bit. You should take the battery to someone who has experience doing this.. don't get this done at a Costco-type place. I recommend taking it to Redmond European (Redmond) or Gerber Motorsports (Seattle), as those shops have the most 914 experience in this area. They are very honest, and they'd probably trim it for free if you bring donuts or talk about other stuff you need done. Once you have the battery out of the car, it'll only take them a minute or two to trim it.

Give them a call first, so they know to expect you. You really should meet these guys, and this is a perfect excuse to stop in and see them!
Old 02-03-2005, 01:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Be sure to use the disconnect on the ground or negitive post.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: