Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Varioram 3.6 in a teener

Varioram 3.6 in a teener anybody done this yet? Can it be done w/out body mods? Vario motor is supposed to be taller and interferes with engine cover and trunk lid. Sure would like to know.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Let me know if you start down this road, I have imported a 3.6 1997 Varioram form England,, no OBD2 to worry about! I am probably going to put it in my 73 911, I want to put a 3.2 in my 914
Good Luck
Ian
Old 02-02-2005, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Marv,

Its been done before, A guy just west of SF did the conversion. It looks stock from the pics and no trunkor lid mods that I can see besides the rain tray delete. If you thought your 3.2 was hot, that 3.6 vario is outstanding.

The drive block has to be taken care of and there is a flatspot that should be adressed when you have the drive block removed. IF you need a source for this I will find who did my father's vario.
https://www.instagram.com/burnhamperformance/
Old 02-03-2005, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
If your father's car is white with triangular stripes that are grey/silver/black, then it was either done by Bauer or by Roger Kraus.

No cutting of the engine bay was needed, IIRC. There's no rain tray, of course, but there never was in the Six.

BTW, the above-described car was completely insanely fun to drive...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 02-03-2005, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Can anyone verify the Vario cars. I have it on good authority that its very hard to do, both Dave from TRE and Jim Patrick say its hard and costly. I'm now thinking a 95 3.6 is the way to go. I would love to see or talk to someone who's done the vario in a teener. Any info is appreciated.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I think I recall the owner of the white car saying it cost him $25K to do the swap. That's just for the motor swap, BTW--the car was already a Six with a 915 gearbox.

--DD

Old 02-04-2005, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Dave, does that sound right to you? $25,000.00......someone got robbed!
Old 02-04-2005, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
I dunno... Drive a car in, plunk down a lotta cash, drive the car out... All the electrical work that gets done, plus of course the motor. This was a handful of years ago, mind you, when 993 motors were rather newer than they are now!

--DD

Old 02-04-2005, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Alright, full service shop does one for a customer that either does not have the ability or time(or both). That may be reality, who knows. God bless that man and his love of the 914.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I was in contact with the owner of the 3.6 teener in the SF bay area. It was priced at $19,000.00. And for everything that was done to this car it was a very good buy.
It was setup mainly for autocross. I spoke to Roger Kraus in Oakland who did the conversion, it was done correctly.Unfortunately I was in Carmel on the phone to the seller and found out that it had a deposit and finally sold. I beleive it went to Arizona.
CCL
Old 02-04-2005, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Interesting!! The car came to the Bay Area from Arizona...

--DD

Old 02-07-2005, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the input guys.
I emailed Tobias Olney and he sent me back a link to the car, very nice car. It looks like it sold for $19k, the buyer got quite a smokin deal with all the bits he had modded, such as a full Wevo 915 and TT brakes, 17's and of course the 3.6.
Anywho it turns out that it was a 95 993 motor in his car, not a vario. I am finding that the vario would be much to hard to do without cutting up the car, don't wanna cut. If it was an AZ car then maybe Jim Patrick did the work?
I am even more charged up to do a 3.6 and possibly some Wevo bits in my 915 as I competed in my first AX ever last Sat in Riverside, won my class and was 5th fastest overall, yes!! IMO AX should be against the law as its about the most fun you can have with your pants on.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
The car came from AZ to CA. It was an original Six with a 3.0 built up to 3.3 liters, carb'ed, and a 915 with a home-brew shift linkage.

Tobias had it converted to a 3.6 at Roger Kraus in the Bay Area. (The carbs were never right, and the 3.3 fried itself.) It evidently had a Wevo kit installed in the 915 after I had looked it over.

I really did think it had a Varioram motor.

Now it's back in AZ. Whoever bought it got one heck of a car. (Ugly, IMHO, but one heck of a car anyway!!)

--DD

Old 02-07-2005, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Outlaw Bastard 914-6 3.6 Vario-Ram

Yes I did. I decided to modify the trunk & engine lid with a hump. In trying to keep the original basic shape of trunk & engine lid so not to bastardize the car too much. This Outlaw 3.6 Vario-Ram is fast. I stuffed this 3.6VRAM in a 914 for a reason. Not been done by too many & is the best & last of the air-cooled motors. It is a bit tricky & takes some courage to modify this beast. I used inspiration from 50's, 60's & 70's race muscle. I also was inspired by GT 40, Carrera GT & modern custom hot-rodders.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Wingnut86

So, no need for a rear sway bar?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

..."...what we've got here, is Failure to Communicate..."
Old 01-03-2016, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: