Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Can I replace push rod seals in car?

Can push rod tube seals be replaced with engine in car? 1974 2.0
2003 Toyota Sequoia
Golden Retriever - Heidi
Old 02-05-2005, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

yes ..at least some of them.

You need to
pull the valve covers
unbolt the rocker arm assemblys
remove the push rods ( keep them in order)
remove the zig-zg springy looking thingy which holds the pushrod tubes(PT) in.
then gently but firmly grasp the PT and while slightly rotating ( to break the bond between seal and the heads/case. Once it breaks free you can extract throu the top of the head,
I was lucky when I had to do it ,,it was the exhaust on the #1 which was leaking. It may be closer to imposible on the tubes further to the front of the car. Also if the tubes are dented or bent...replace them..it's cheap insurance.
66 Red &White Ghia 2liter 914 engine ..restoring it from a californicated custom soon
90 Maroon and Silver Conversion Van ..the shag mobile..family car/camper
94 saturn wagon ..the wifes pos
Old 02-05-2005, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
They can all be done in the car. If there are dents in the tubes, it is best to replace them, however, if you cannot find replacements or suffer from the common "out of money" problem like some of us have, you can reuse them. Try to get them as straight as possible and put the flattest part of the tube facing down so the oil can travel easily back to the case. You may have to remove your heat exchangers to get at them but it can be done without removing the engine from the car.

75 Slantnose V8
03 S-10 Extended cab stepside in Yellow
72 914 Parts car
Old 02-06-2005, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

I've done it without removing the heat exchangers. You dont really need to remove the tubes from the engine unless they are badly damaged...

Just enough to pull the pushrod out an the rocker parts.. Clean both surfaces very well and install the Viton type seals on the tube. Some people will tell you not to do it, but I also used a little Curil T on the mating surfaces to help prevent leaks a little more...
Old 02-06-2005, 10:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Yup. All you have to do is pull the tubes out far enough that you can get at the seals. You can leave them "halfway out", with the middle of the tube sitting in the hole in the cylinder head. Not a problem to do all the tubes with the engine still in the car.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 02-07-2005, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: