Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ignition Switch Wiring

I have a bad ignition switch. I'm opting to set up a toggle switch and push button starter for now. I have the wiring diagrams and it was pretty simple to trace everything except...

The gray wire at pin P. On the diagram it stops at the square with a 30 in it, but I don't yet know where to pick that up elsewhere in the diagram.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Electrical/914_electric_74D.jpg

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electrical_diagrams.htm

1. What's the gray wire for?
2. How did you know? (I want to learn to read the diagrams better.)
Old 02-05-2005, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The numbers along the bottom of the diagram is the current track

The number in the box is the current track that the circuit continues on...so on current track 30 there will be a box 67....that is where the wire continues....looks like the wiring for the euro parking lights.

Don't hack the wiring, it will take the same time to fix the switch the right way.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The grey wire probably feeds the turn signal switch when the key is OFF. Many of these cars had the ability to illuminate the parking, tail, and side markers on the side to which you position the Turn Signal switch. ie. left side on when TS in left position.
That 30 in the square means Current track 30. The corresponsding one shows Box 62 for my 1974. Look at Turn Signal Switch E2 and you'll see it.

I suggest you do not need to worry about this wire while in the temp (toggle/push switch) mode.

HTH
2003 Toyota Sequoia
Golden Retriever - Heidi
Old 02-05-2005, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Randy,

How did you determin that the ignition switch is bad? If the starter motor won't turn over when you go the the start position of the switch, it doesn't necessarily mean that the ignition switch is the culprit. It might be that the spliced fat yellow wire under the passenger seat has become open, a suprisingly common probem on many of the 914s I have worked on.

Phil
Old 02-07-2005, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Phil: I checked the yellow wire all the way to the switch. All connections are good and there is continuity. I took the iginition switch out and found it was cracked.

I wired up a toggle switch and push-button starter switch and everything is working great. (Did it cleanly BTW - my wiring ties into the ignition switch harness so I can unplug it and put a new factory sytle ignition switch in later.)

On a side note, this also fixed an intermittent problem I was having with the headlights popping up.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Randy,

You did good.

Phil
Old 02-07-2005, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

If you have the switch out, and you know thats your problem, why not just replace it. I know the bird should carry them. Good luck
Old 02-08-2005, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: