Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Reamed By Rimco

I, had a set of cylinders, bored, honed and trued, by Rimco (Riddle Machine Co) last year, 103 opened up to 105, it was $80 to bore and hone, and $30 to true the tops.

I, picked up a set today, that I droped off last monday, 103 opened up to 105, it was $135 to bore and hone, and $40 to true them, WHAT A FN REAM JOB, $65 WORTH OF REAMING.

I asked smiley about the price, he says thats the price, it takes a couple of hrs to do that work, I said it wasn't the price on the last set I had done, smiley then said they raised the prices, I said yea you raised the prices at the beginning of last year, and the other set was done after the increase. I took the cylinders and left.

I, went back in three min later, I asked smiley, to speak to the other guy, the other guy came out, I asked him about the price, I told him what I paid for the last set, he comes of with, you said you were in a hury, and our boring machine was set up for something else, so we set up another machine to do your cylinders, so it cost more. I just shook my head and left.
At no time did I tell them I was in a hurry, I asked them what the turn around was, they said give a call wed, I called wed, they were finally done friday.

In less than 5 min I had 2 different bull**** stories, from 2 of there employees.

I, don't know if anybody else has had any problems with them, but ever since they raised there prices last year, and lost a few of there big accounts, us little guys are getting reamed (Reamed, Rimco, Toilet Rim), easy way to learn things is by association

Rimco is not the only place that has good machinists, local for us California boys and girls.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You should always get a hardcopy quote on work to be done.This would prevent such situations from occuring. Sounds like Rimco could use some organization and communication, but prices do change. The only time I do not quote a customer is when I have a long history with them and want to save them money(just plain time and materials). If I do quote it is higher to account for "what ifs". Maybe that happenened to you.
https://www.instagram.com/burnhamperformance/
Old 02-15-2005, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Oh, and let's not forget that "last year" was last year, and most times a business has to raise its prices to keep in business. Hourly rates can be a real PITA, and as a small business owner, I can understand the shops side of this.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
There is no need to use rimco any more.

TYPE4 MACHINE WORK

Last edited by SteveStromberg; 02-15-2005 at 08:40 AM..
Old 02-15-2005, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Pretty cool Steve.........but....does he have that much experience with Type 4 heads??? What are his prices like?
Old 02-15-2005, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
He has done lots of Type 4 heads for Score Racing teams.
We are team Gray Hair here ,no youngsters.
Just Decades of experiance that you can count on.
The costs are resonable for the Quality of the work.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I know who John Edwards is.
John is probably one of the preminant engine machinists in this part of the world... yeah folks.. he is that good. he also has a flow bench that he REALLY knows how to use..

If you are in his shop. You will see many Ferrari, Lambo, WRX, and good O'le air cooled stuff. The first time I met John was with one of my Harley friends that builds extremely hot engines. He has ALL of his engine worj done through John. (thanks Brian)

John was one of the few people I have met that can totally take me to school on engine design and machining technology's. Thats because he wrote the book that explains it all... To mechanics all over the world.

He is also the guy that wrote the specs and created the machine process FOR PORSCHE to recondition Nicasil and Alusil Cylinders. Thats right folks. You don't need new ones. You just send em to John Via Steve to get this done.

Just thought you oughta know that someone other than Steve holds this man in extremely high regard...

Twystd1

See ya at the www.914club.com

Last edited by Twystd1; 02-15-2005 at 05:47 PM..
Old 02-15-2005, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Just so everyone knows, Clayton and Steve have not met, yet. I am sure they will here soon, in fact Saturday when we go over there to pick up some stuff. I figured I would mention this bacause Clayton only has one post.

75 Slantnose V8
03 S-10 Extended cab stepside in Yellow
72 914 Parts car
Old 02-15-2005, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by DonNewton
Oh, and let's not forget that "last year" was last year, and most times a business has to raise its prices to keep in business. Hourly rates can be a real PITA, and as a small business owner, I can understand the shops side of this.
Don, last year, Rimco had raised prices on just about everything they do, the boring and honing on the cylinders last year reflected the new raised prices.

What would be a reasonable price raise this year? 10%, 15%, a company that does volume business would see a substantial revanue increase from 10 or 15%.

What would you call a 70% price raise? (70% of $80 is $56, they now charged me $135).

I, call it a Rimco Reaming, A Rip Off, Flat Out Stealing, The Big Screwing.

This is why I posted this, to warn everyone.

They wouldn't dare do this to there larger accounts, that they have left, they couldn't afford to lose any more Companys, like the ones they lost last year after they raised prices.

So they screw the little guys.

Don, I wan't to say thanks for your Respectful statement, regarding my posting, I saw that your opinion had value, along with a few others, so I felt I had better explain, why I posted my warning.

As, for the disrespectful opinons, one inparticular EAT SH?T

Thanks

Last edited by Type 4 Unleashed; 02-15-2005 at 11:10 PM..
Old 02-15-2005, 10:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
grind weld build

Garage
link did not work for me
73 Orange, CS #601
73 Rayco V8 glug, glug
69 911 w/82 turbo look on 275 35 18s (for sale)
Trek 6500+
Sean M!
Old 02-17-2005, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Here, is a unhappy Reamco customer

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=76153

It, took this guy 4 months to get a refund from Reamco, on some questionable machine work, and he did a respectable posting on his problem, not the posting I have done. 4 months?, they probally thought he would just go away.

Last edited by Type 4 Unleashed; 02-17-2005 at 10:20 PM..
Old 02-17-2005, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
"What would you call a 70% price raise? (70% of $80 is $56, they now charged me $135)." You got a point. Even in my profession, a 68.75% increase, year-over-year, is just a little excessive. . .unless they (RIMCO) have been tagged to pay for all the california social programs!
Old 02-17-2005, 11:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Yea, I can see it too. Those price increases are sharp for a machine shop, but are on par with material cost increases that I am experiencing. Its really hard to quote now with sheets of polycarbonate went from 56.00 to 91.00 in less than 12 months. This has nothing to do with Richards problem but just an example of what I am experiencing and how someone can get the Idea that I am ripping them off thats all.

Richard, it does sound like you got messed with. Don't do buisness with them again(I don't think you will) and get a quote so that you can hold them accountable.
https://www.instagram.com/burnhamperformance/
Old 02-18-2005, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
grind weld build

Garage
the cost of steel has more than doubled also in the last 18 months. I think that the busnisses that foresaw this and raised prices in '02 and 03 were chastized for doing so but now the accountants have seen it first hand and have allerted upper management with the facts of broadband increases in operating costs. Materials, delivery of materials and the manufacture of said materials have risen so sharply. Labor costs have followed this trend since cost of living and everything else is all tied in together. PONY-UP Y'ALL $
73 Orange, CS #601
73 Rayco V8 glug, glug
69 911 w/82 turbo look on 275 35 18s (for sale)
Trek 6500+
Sean M!
Old 02-19-2005, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

I've always had good dealings with Rimco in the past... Cant speak for them now.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Quote:
Originally posted by Jared Fenton
I've always had good dealings with Rimco in the past... Cant speak for them now.
Ditto. All businesses have slumps. I don't know whose acct's they lost, but there's always someone who wants a piece of the pie. DPR is doing a lot of cranks now adn Greg Tuttle is doing a lot of heads. But RIMCO has been there something like 40 years. I think they'll survive.

The reason they are so damn salty is because of the work load. When there's no work, they'll get nicer real quick. Everything is like an hourglass. It all runs out and you turn it over and it runs back in again.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: