Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 Air Conditioning

Ok, the new car has air. It looks like all that is missing is the compressor. I think these had VPD and DPD A/C units. How do I figure out what compressor I need? Can I convert this to 134a?

Basically every question you would expect!

Thanks,
Matt
Old 02-15-2005, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

lot more work needs to be done that just adding a compressor.

If you have a 1.7 or a 1.8 just dont bother.. The motors just arent powerful enough to really work a A/C system effectively.

Keep in mind that you will need to replace the hoses to the front as the original hoses are, at the youngest, 29 years old. They are also of the old style barrier design which allowed R-12 to slowly leak out to help control system pressures. This will be a custom fabrication. You'll also need to get a R-134a compatible reciever-drier and also have the condensor in the front trunk pressure tested and flushed. Even then it isnt going to get enough airflow from under the car to work that well, so you'll have to come up with something different.

Then there's the unit under the dash. You'll have to disassemble it, replace all the seals, then try to figure out a way to make the evaporator more effective.

You then need to adress the compressor. If yous car has the extra pulley shim, you're in luck, this will allow you to run the belt to the compressor. If you dont have it, you'll have to fab something to drive it off the cooling fan. You'll also have to rig up a step-up switch for the idle to raise it as the compressor kicks on. You also have to figure out a way to mount the new compressor. Don't bother dealing with Griffiths either.... Jerk

In the end you'll be left with an A/C system that wont cool as well as an old R-12 system, and it will suck down the power of your engine. Unless you have a six and lots of money to spend, just take the roof off... The whole thing is basically going to be a custome fabrication. Keep in mind that no 914 ever left the factory with A/C, and the systems were installed (rather poorly) by VW and Porsche/Audi dealers.

My 2 cents

Last edited by Jared at Pelican Parts; 02-15-2005 at 09:49 PM..
Old 02-15-2005, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Try these guys for a compressor, shine the old York line and go with a newer style rotary vance type, less draw on motor.

http://www.compressor-intl.com/aboutus/index.htm

2 years ago, Shad Laws did a series of articles on this subject in VW trends. You may wish to reasearch.

Some years ago, BA posted the figures/comparisson on HP strain.
IIRC the York was 6+, and nippon or seiko was 1 or 2...(its been a few years/beers since I read the article).

If you dont have the pulley set up to drive the compressor take a look under my user name in the 912 section. You may be able to fab a similar pulley as mine...

Good Luck
"Long Hoods Rule"
"RICE - The Breakfast of Champions"

Last edited by COLDBASS; 02-16-2005 at 10:05 AM..
Old 02-16-2005, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: