Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Cokeaholic
I screwed up

Well after having not realized that I had an oil leak, i ran my car dry and the engine in about 20 min had gone from running great to low power to not at all. Did I totally fry my engine? is there someway i can put oil in it and get it to turn over again? I just bought this engine not more than 4 months ago. Boy did I screw up.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Probably the bearings are toast along with other stuff so its metal to metal contact.
Did you fry the engine? yep.

Take it apart to find out.

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 02-24-2005, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ouch!!!! Time to invest in an oil pressure gauge. If your engine isn't turning freely then it's toast. If it is turning freely at very best you have just put a lot of extra wear on that engine. I'm guessing that it is time to call your engine builder.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 02-24-2005, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

OUCH is right, I think I'm going to have to rebuild it, but i put oil in it and am going to try to get it to turn over later today
Old 02-24-2005, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Cokeaholic
OUCH is right, I think I'm going to have to rebuild it, but i put oil in it and am going to try to get it to turn over later today
Just be careful. If anything siezes up you may have an extra and unwanted hole in your engine case. Not that it ever happened to one of my Sciroccos when I was younger or anything.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 02-24-2005, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Cokeaholic
I'd only do that if I had an extra engine standing by. If it up and died on you, chances are you fried the bearings and probably have siezed the motor. Trying to force it to turn over, may break something that might otherwise be salvagable.

Is the motor toast? 99% Yes. But not all of it is neccessarilly trash. A lot might still be reusable.

Major Bummer, but it doesn't sound good. Even if you had caught it when it was starting to loose power, it wouldn't have been good.

-Josh2
Old 02-24-2005, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Peter_Hinkle
You most certainly put allot of extra wear on the motor but if it didn't actually lock up on you, you may be surprised by the fact that after it cools and you add new oil, it may start right up and run. You may need to re-check to torque on a few bolts thought..he he.

1974 Saturn Yellow 914/4 1.8/w BigBore/Webers/MSD
1988 944 Black on Black w/phone dials
Old 02-24-2005, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I would be worried too. But, I had a similar situation that turned out not to be so bad.

When I was 16, I tuned up my sisters VW Bug. When I started up the engine and ran it for about 5 minutes --- it suddenly came to a screaching halt. I quickly noticed that the 5 brand new quarts of oil were sitting behind the car - Holy Sh$%!

I put the oil in and started praying. The engine started up and ran fine. My sister left for LA that night and I hoped that everything went well (of course, I didn't tell her). She drove the car for around 5 years and never had any problems.

Now I know a type I and a type IV are different but you never know, maybe your engine will keep running - at least until you can fix it up/

Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 02-24-2005, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Well i'm praying...
Old 02-24-2005, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Change the oil....check what's left for debris...if there is not alot...

fire it up and check the compression and leak down....
Old 02-25-2005, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Re: I screwed up

Quote:
Did I totally fry my engine?
BTDT ...

funny thing is, as long as you drive it, it'll still turn/run. as soon as you shut it off, it freezes ...

not gud my friend!
keep us posted and, post pics of the carnage.

we love pics!
Andy

>> 1970, 914-6, #374 (Original) For sale!
Old 02-25-2005, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: