Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Paint question

I need to do a little touch-up painting on my car and I know the PO had the car repainted about 10 years ago. I have no idea what type of paint he used -- is there any way to determine what type of paint was used so I don't have any lifting issues?
Old 02-25-2005, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Re: Paint question

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche914blue
I need to do a little touch-up painting on my car and I know the PO had the car repainted about 10 years ago. I have no idea what type of paint he used -- is there any way to determine what type of paint was used so I don't have any lifting issues?
yes, you'll have to take a sample to a competent paint shop and they'll be able to match it and get you some touch-up paint ...

this is usually done the easiest by driving there with the car in question ...
Andy

>> 1970, 914-6, #374 (Original) For sale!
Old 02-25-2005, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

So they'll be able to determine what type of paint was used? and I mean the chemistry of the paint -- laquer, urethane, acrylic?
Old 02-25-2005, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Wow, a real question... Stop at your local paint supplier. They should be able to scan the finish and mix a blendable match.
WCC 04 done by the kids
Who says Aliens only abduct people.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche914blue
So they'll be able to determine what type of paint was used? and I mean the chemistry of the paint -- laquer, urethane, acrylic?
yes, if they have the right equipment.
call ahead before you drive there ...

they'll do a chemical analisys (sp? again) and be able to match it up to a database of know automotive paints.

any hint you can give them about the paint will greatly speed up the process ...

Andy

>> 1970, 914-6, #374 (Original) For sale!
Old 02-25-2005, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Take some 2000 grit wet & dry sand paper & lightly sand a very small area (1" square). Sand lightly w/out water. If the residue on the paper is white or clear in appearance, the paint is two stage w/ a clear coat. If the rsidue on the sand paper is the color of your car (presuming the car is not a metallic finish) then it is a single stage paint. Once this has been done, you can take some fine rubbing compound & buff out the fine scratches from lightly sanding.

Try using a cotton cloth soaked lightly w/ lacquer thinners & rubbing a small (hidden) area such as a wheel well lip very lightly. If color stains the cloth, the car may be painted in acrylic lacquer. However, chances are the car was painted in an acrylicl urethane or derivative if it was painted w/in the last 10 years as acrylic lacquer has been very difficult to get (almost impossible now) for most body shops due to environmental regulations for VOC emittants.

If the car was sprayed in acrylic lacquer, it can be sprayed over with acrylic urethane & there will be no paint lifting issues to contend with. Lifting will occur if you spray acyrilic lacquer over a urethane based paint, especially if there are any breaks or cracks in the existing paint that require priming. You should aslo check the existing paint thickness w/ a mil guage to ensure that the car does not have to much paint on it before you repaint. A good local body shop or automotive paint supply store can help you verify this.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: