Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Climate Control, help! please!!

First off, thanks for this place to read these Q&A's, I thought I was the only one that didn't understand the workings of my car.

I am having trouble getting the climate control to work, I seem to have no power at all at the climate control station on the dash, and I get no power to the blower motor. Can someone point me in the right direction please?
I have a '72 914, Light Ivory, and I just had the engine re-built last year, just need HEAT! )

thanks very much.

Bill
Old 02-26-2005, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Hiya Bill-
the blower for the heat is down near the shift lever. The three levers on the dash work like this:
top lever operates fresh air fan- off to left, full speed fresh air.
2nd lever operates distributin of fresh air-left lower to middle -dash vents to upper- windsheild
3rd lever is distribution of heated air - just like 2nd lever for heated airwhich is only available if the lever on the floor or center console near the shift lever and with the "defrost" light by it. That lever has the following- off- fully forward, heater duct work open about 1/3 of way, and the fan assist comes on about midway.

hope this helps!

My gallery page
Old 02-26-2005, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Scott,

I have all that info, I know about the heater lever and all, but I guess I should have said it this way.

I have no power to the control panel, I have no power to the fan assist blowers, and I cant get the heater blower motor to run at all.
Maybe that should help, sorry, I worded it wrong the first time.

Bill
Old 02-27-2005, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If the fan itself is shot, you won't be able to measure any power at the climate control electrical connections. The fan lever settings just provide three separate paths to ground for the fresh air blower fan. Check out the current flow diagram in the Haynes manual...I found it very helpful.

My fresh air fan is also not working. I've already cleaned up the climate control connections. The next step is to haul out the fuel tank and check out the fresh air blower fan. Should be a good time.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry Bill, I saw it was your 2nd post so I thought you didn't know opperatons. I'm guessing you've checked fuse function too. I can't give you any guidance on the curcuit, but I'll tell you that my fan works, and even at highest speed it is FEEBLE. I dunno if I would expend too much effort on it myself.......

My gallery page
Old 02-27-2005, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

thanks

Ok, thanks to you both for the info, I'll let you know what I come up with in the next week or so.

Bill

'72 914 1.7L
Old 02-27-2005, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
One of the more common faults in the heating system is for the electrical switch under the "DEFROST" handle (the heater control handle) to fail open. If it does this, the relay on the relay board never gets triggered and so it never sends power to the heater blower motor.

Also check the relay board fuses.

It seems like one of the more common failure modes for the fresh air blower is that the blower gets filled up with pine needles and jams, then burns out. Replacement is a b*tch; you have to pull the fuel tank and I think the windshield wiper motor.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling

Last edited by Dave at Pelican Parts; 03-01-2005 at 09:38 AM..
Old 02-28-2005, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

ok, thanks Dave, Ill check all that stuff in a couple of weeks.
'preciate the help folks.
Bill
Old 02-28-2005, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: