Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rebuildable?

I own a rental house which for the past 5 years I've been renting to a couple of VW owning students. After they recently moved out I went over to clean the place up and found the following.. 4 type iv blocks several sets of heads as well as some other stuff. Including some 411 parts.
Trouble is most of this stuff was outside for at least two very rainy months and all the steel pieces have rusted.
I'm thinking the blocks, and heads would still be usable for rebuilding. I would obviously need to replace the studs, ect.

I guess my real question is : Does water damage weaken the heads or block? Would surface rust weaken a crank so that It would be of no value?
Opnions please..

(also got 2 2.0 bus engines complete, one that even runs!)

I believe in the old saying : " You can never be too rich or have to many spare vw parts"
Schosh
66 Red &White Ghia 2liter 914 engine ..restoring it from a californicated custom soon
90 Maroon and Silver Conversion Van ..the shag mobile..family car/camper
94 saturn wagon ..the wifes pos
Old 02-27-2005, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I guess my real question is : Does water damage weaken the heads or block? Would surface rust weaken a crank so that It would be of no value?
If the crankshaft is not otherwise too badly worn, the surface rust can be removed by machining the crank journals. I think they are usually ground some multiple of 0.010" undersize. You need the corresponding undersize bearings. I don't think aluminum rusts as readily as iron so I doubt that there would be a problem with a rusty case or heads but have somebody who knows Type IV heads have a look at them and tell you what needs to be done. Oh, and pick up Tom Wilson's book - Pelican probably sells it.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

Just looked in my old chemistry (hated it) book.

Quote:
Aluminum readily forms the oxide Al2O3 when exposed to air:

4Al(s) + 3O2(g) ----> 2Al2O3(s)

A tenacious film of this oxide protects metallic aluminum from further corrosion and accounts for some of the unexpected inertness of aluminum.

Aluminum oxide has a very large exothermic enthalpy of formation(delta H sub f = -1670kJ/mol). This property makes aluminum suitable for use in solid propellants for rockets such as those used for the space shuttle Columbia.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The heads, cases, cranks, rods, etc., can probably be saved. Have a good machine shop that has air-cooled experience check them over.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 02-28-2005, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
grind weld build

Garage
2.0 bus mojo=SCORE! CRANK AND RODS ARE THE SAME. the case might not have the dip stick and or oil fill thngy depending on yr. I would bore out htose cylinders for 96mm KBs. heads might be a good score too
http://www.tunacan.net/t4/tour/heads.shtml
this link will tell you about the heads
73 Orange, CS #601
73 Rayco V8 glug, glug
69 911 w/82 turbo look on 275 35 18s (for sale)
Trek 6500+
Sean M!
Old 02-28-2005, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys...I've got one of the bus motors set up to test right now...I'm kinda exictied cause I may be able to use it as a temp while I rebuild the top end of my "real" 2.0..
66 Red &White Ghia 2liter 914 engine ..restoring it from a californicated custom soon
90 Maroon and Silver Conversion Van ..the shag mobile..family car/camper
94 saturn wagon ..the wifes pos
Old 02-28-2005, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Related question:

2.0 Bus and 914 crank and rods are same. Seem to remember reading somewhere that 914 c&r's had closer tolerance on weights and balance.

Anyone care to comment on this.

I had a bastardized 2.0 in a car i got and was wondering if I should pay attention to this.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
grind weld build

Garage
Hmmm, I will weigh some tomorrow
73 Orange, CS #601
73 Rayco V8 glug, glug
69 911 w/82 turbo look on 275 35 18s (for sale)
Trek 6500+
Sean M!
Old 02-28-2005, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: