Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question drain below battery tray?

Today I removed my battery and cleaned the battery, tray and surrounding area with baking soda and water. I hosed everything down and noticed all the water just puddled under the tray in a pocket just forward of the rear wheel well. It must have been 4 inches deep. Is there supposed to be a drain hole down there, or do I need to drill one?

Also, does anyone know of a battery protector top for an Ultima battery? Or do I even need one now that I am using a sealed battery?
Old 02-27-2005, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There's a hole there, and another on the other side under the relay board. Just need to clean them out.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
How do I get to them? From below?
Old 02-27-2005, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You should be able to clear them from above. Here's a pic if it helps. The hole is visible in the center right of photo.

Old 02-27-2005, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Guy.... I will look at it after work tonight. Eddy
Old 02-28-2005, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Just wait for it to rust through and then it drains fine!!
1993 Ford Super Duty Racecar Hauler
Old 02-28-2005, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Angry drain hole plugged

Finally I got a chance to look at the drain hole from the photo above. It looks like the PO used it for an electrical feed to something. He put a rubber grommet in the drain hole and stuffed some wires thru it. It look like my only option (short of rewiring) is to drill my own drain hole? I did find a rusted out socket extension and a sheet rock screw down there, LOL. Eddy
Old 03-06-2005, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Re: drain hole plugged

Quote:
Originally posted by smooth_eddy
It look like my only option (short of rewiring) is to drill my own drain hole?
just don't drill into the frame-rail ...

trust me, you don't want any water in there ...
Andy
>> 1970, 914-6, #374 (Original)
>> 1975/73, 914 Limo (Custom)
Old 03-06-2005, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Re: drain hole plugged

Quote:
Originally posted by smooth_eddy
and a sheet rock screw down there, LOL. Eddy
What is it with drywall screws anyway? I don't know how many I've pulled out of my car when I built it, and in the latest car I bought too. The damn things were everywhere, holding trim on and everything else. This last car the center console was held together with them. You had to be careful because the sharp points stuck out near the shifter. Amazing what people do with these cars.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Should you open that hole up to allow better draining?
Old 03-06-2005, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Fixing the rust in that area was a three day job, I know because that was my car and the wire he is talking about is for the oil temp sender. Not my screw, or my exstension. I still have all of my tools, and wouldn't think of using a dry wall screw on a car. I would guess about 30 hours of labor went in to that repair, with all new metal. When that car left my hand it was one of the nicest 914's I have ever seen. 3 years of work made it that way. I was not concerned with any drainage holes, as I don't spray the engine bay with a water hose, and I didn't drive it out in the rain ever. The car went from California, to Seattle I believe. Since the car is in a much wetter climate, just put a small drain hole in the area next to the wire for the oil temp, without drilling the long. Easy to do for most.

Last edited by Martin Baker; 03-19-2005 at 02:50 PM..
Old 03-19-2005, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
drain hole

Quote:
When that car left my hand it was one of the nicest 914's I have ever seen
Yes, I agree Martin. Thanks for putting your efforts into it. It really shows. As for the battery area, I swapped out the lead/acid with an Ultima. I just wanted to do a thorough cleaning of the area.

We did a club outing a last Saturday in Bremerton (near Seattle) and I got a lot of compliments on the car (and clean engine compartment). The car has also been work in progress too. I have sunk a lot of time and money into it since you last saw it. Saturdays are my day for 914 work, but unfortunately it is raining right now. So it just sits in my tiny garage till the sun comes back again. Eddy
Old 03-19-2005, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
From the factory, the drain holes came witha little rubber tube. They plugged instantly in the rain with debris. I always wash out that "Hellhole" area as it fills with dirt and debris from just driving.

Done that darn fix too! Hope to meet you sometime eddy.

Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 03-20-2005, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

they came with sort of a one-way drain that didn't. unplug the hole. i don't understand the wire running through the hole.

k
Old 03-22-2005, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Keep it clean and painted. Mine got clogged and started rusting around it. Now its five times the size!!!

Drue
Old 04-28-2005, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: