Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Chevy V6 conversion and wiring ?

I have finally installed the engine and purchased a Mallory electronic ignition to go with it. Is there any info. out there that suggests how to wire everything up? When I bought my roller, the relay board was gone and the wires end at the large plastic plug that plugs into the relay board. Do I need a relay board still? Engine is carburated. Thanks for any suggestions. Pete
Old 03-03-2005, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi Pete

I ditched my relay board. I used it for awhile, one relay for my water pump. I was getting too much voltage drop in the wiring so took it out and now have two new relays - one for radiator fans and the other for the water pump and coil. It made things simpler, with heavier gauge wiring with fuses located in the engine compartment.

By the way, the GM alternator with internal regulator is even more reason to eliminate the relay board.

Last edited by 914GT; 03-03-2005 at 06:24 PM..
Old 03-03-2005, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

well pete how have you been, you could get rid the the relay board but there are some things you would need to modify the stock harness for. i have the suby running and it plugs in the relay board, so unbolt and unplug back to stock. if i were you i would keep it just use the relay board to control other relay just to make it easy to trouble shoot. i use the stock main relay, to tell the ecu to turn on, and the ecu fuel pump relay to turn on the stock fuel pump relay. that way the 3.5 years of learning the 914 wiring is not wasted.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

huh?
Old 03-03-2005, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The relay board not only holds the relays (and one or two fuses), but is also serves as a way of connecting a number of wires together. You can bypass the board, but you will need to adapt the wiring to do so. If you are comfortable with that, then go for it. You can use a 928 part, I think, to hook up to the stock 14-pin plug of the main wiring harness.

There are four--and optionally a fifth--wiring harnesses that hook up to a stock 914's relay board. These are:

- Main (body) wiring harness
- Fuel injection wiring harness
- Fan wiring harness
- Engine wiring harness
- (optional) rear window defogger wiring harness

The FI wiring harness you can ditch.

The heater blower wiring harness you can also ditch; presumably the heater blower fan is long gone.

The engine wiring harness has some important bits in it. You'll need to take them into account. This carries power to the coil, and carries the tach signal. It also carries the oil pressure warning light signal. There is a branch of the harness that goes toward the back of the motor; this carries the fat yellow wire that operates the starter, and the two grey/black wires that run the backup lights. There may be one or two other things in there as well, but those are the ones that you'll probably need to deal with.

Good luck!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-04-2005, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Dave's correct. I had to pull out the lines for use with my V8. I'm only using starter, ignition coil, oil pressure, oil temp (now water temp), backup light switch, alternator light, and tach. The old ignition wire now powers two relays for cooling fans and coil/water pump.

Chevy V6s have an oil pressure switch to kill the electric fuel pump in an accident. You may want to consider preserving this function for safety (fire) reasons. I'm running a mechanical pump so I don't have the same concern.

Consider routing a new wire through the tunnel up to your dash or console for a separate water temp warning light.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the input, I definatately have a better feel for the situation now. Pete
Old 03-06-2005, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: