Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Side shift conversion?

I am about to convert my tail shifter to a side shifter in my 72. I have a side shift tranny and all the shift linkage from a 73 along with new bushings for it all. I read some where I might need the front engine support crossmember and solid mounts from a 73 also. Is this true or do I have everything I need.
Thanks

72' 914 1.7 (Saturn Yellow)
64' VW Type 1

Air Suckers Rule!!
Old 03-05-2005, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
You need the whole gear shift linkage, including the gear shift lever. If you like your old gear shift knob, you can use it--but the rest of the linkage needs to be the newer parts.

You need the transmission (or you can have your old one converted using side-shifter parts).

You need the "converter" bushing at the firewall.

You need the late-style motor mount bar, complete with the solid ouboard mounts, the rubber inboard mounts, and the brackets that attach the latter to the engine case.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-06-2005, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Thanks,

I have the tranny, shifter with linkage and the new firewall bushing. Are the mount bar parts avaliable from Pelican. And do you have the part numbers for them. Would any mount bar work from a 73 up or would it have to be from a 73 1.7?

THANKS

64' VW Type 1

Air Suckers Rule!!
Old 03-08-2005, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
any bar from 73+ will work the hard parts to find for me wasthe outboard solid mounts and the brackets that connect the engine to the new bar... I think the only parts that pelican had was the rubber interior mounts... you can also use steel or composite versions of these (jwesteng sells them) the other parts(bar, out board mounts and brackets) I got on this board from people parting out cars...
Old 03-09-2005, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You may be all over this but there's a little ambiguity in your previous posts...if you bought the bushing kit for the side shift setup the firewall bushing won't work. That is why Dave referred to a "converter" bushing. I don't know the answer to this...you could check if the ODs of the shift linkages at the firewall agree. If they do then you can use your old bushing here. The later bushing has too small of an OD for the firewall and will wobble in place.

Additionally, you can easily fabricate the outside solid mounts from some box iron if it helps...

You may also consider buying new shift linkage cone screws-there are two allen screws with conicle tips that hold the linkage together and can get worn. They are cheap and available from Pelican.

Good luck!
Old 03-10-2005, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Hello,

I do have the conversion bushing for the firewall and a whole rebushing kit for the shifter. Someone is sending me a mount bar, so maybe it will be done soon.
Thanks

64' VW Type 1

Air Suckers Rule!!
Old 03-11-2005, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: