Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Lightbulb Engine died after fuel pump relocation

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping for some technical theories regarding a recent engine stall on my '74 914. I finished up a fuel pump replacement (brand new Bosch) and relocation (near tank) this past Saturday (all new lines and filter). I put some gas back in the tank, and after a couple tries, the engine started right up. I let it idle for about 10 minutes and then took it for a drive. About 3-4 miles down the road, the engine "hiccupped", and then thirty seconds later it died. I pulled off the road. I tried starting it a couple more times, and each time, the engine would run rough for 1-2 seconds and then die. I had it towed home (I was less than a mile from home).

I charged up the battery, but didn't want to look at the car until the next morning. On Sunday morning, I rechecked all my wiring and new fuel lines, and all looked good. Just for kicks, I turned the ignition, and to my surprise, the engine started right up, and has run fine since. I've let the car idle, took it for some laps around the neighborhood, and today drove about 5 miles and it ran fine.

Anyone have any ideas what may have happened? Could there still have been some air in the lines, or would all the air have been pumped out by the time the engine first started (No, I didn't prime the lines...) Thanks for your input.

- Bryan
Old 03-14-2005, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Your problem sounds like it's electrical; intermittent problems frequently are. Could it be that your inspection moved things around to where they made good contact again? (E.g., you wiggled the plug and in doing so you seated the connection fully?)

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-15-2005, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
My 2cents worth:

The fact that the engine started & ran for 10 minutes suggests that the lines are hooked up correctly.

My guess is that:
a) like Dave says, you could have a loose electrical connection.

b) the fuel filter is clogged. Even though you put in a new filter, 914 gas tanks can have a lot of sediment. Did you replace the fuel screen in the bottom of the gas tank? When I relocated my fuel pump, I also changed the fuel screen. My old screen was so clogged up that I couldn't beleive any fuel was actually getting thru. It's possible that during the whole relocation project, the sediment in the tank shifted and gave you a temporary clog.

I doubt that your problem was caused by "air in the lines". Fuel injected cars require a certain amount of fuel pressure which couldn't be accomplished with air in the lines.

Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R

Last edited by Tidybuoy; 03-15-2005 at 12:47 PM..
Old 03-15-2005, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yah, I was thinking about the clogged filter as well. No, I didn't check the strainer at the tank, but I have a strong suspicion that I will be soon, along with a complete tank restoration to take care of any rust. I checked the strainer about about 6 months ago, and it was clean then, but I know that could mean nothing now.

If that's the case, I'm hoping that the rust made like a kidney stone and passed into a better place where it's not blocking the line.

It's all pretty un-nerving, as I'm planning on driving the car from the San Francisco bay area up to Portland, OR later this week!
Old 03-15-2005, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Smile

On that note, if anyone on the board drives up I-5 later this week and happens to see me with my white 914 on the shoulder, please feel free to pull over and say "hi".
Old 03-15-2005, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: