Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
JW Apostate

ran my race gas

Added 2.5 gallons of 110 octane race fuel to my 3/4 full tank.
Maybe my imagination, but it sure seems snappier.

It's a hard revving 914-6 with a 1967 911 2.0. Yay!
Comes up to 7k rpm's fast.

KT
'74 914-6 2.6 SS #746
'01 Boxster
'73 914
Old 03-18-2005, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Race gas will definitely make a diff. In my car at the end of the front straight at Portland I went from 110 mph to 125 mph. Didnt improve my brakes though......eek! Hello Festival Curves in a hurry!

Figuring out the line through turn 9 made a big difference too.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Unless your engine is pinging (detonating) on lower octane gasoline, there is precisely zero performance benefit from higher octane fuel. Higher octane fuel is _more_ difficult to ignite (this is to allow higher compression and more ignition advance before the threshold of detonation). Increasing ignition advance and compression ratio will increase power, but the fuel itself does nothing. In fact, I believe that I read somewhere that it actually has a slightly _lower_ energy density than regular fuel.

Race fuel sure as hell isn't going to make a 15 mph difference in speed, even at the end of a long straight.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 03-21-2005, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
To add to my earlier post.

My motor was already 10.5 :1 comp, ported polished heads, dual carbs, cam, an 050 dist. and bigger exhaust etc... I had to 'detune' it to run on pump gas.

Now, by no means am I a mechanical genius, but the results were real after 're-tuning' the motor after several laps and pitstops to adjust timing etc...

Funny thing was the motor was built by a local sand rail/buggy racer and he said the motor would last a year. It ran for 5 as a daily driver till I parked it in favour of a Dodge Caravan (couldnt get 2 baby seats in the 914)
Old 03-22-2005, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: