Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
installing new rod bolts

Hi, just received my set of ARP rod bolts and nuts for $120 for rebuilding my 2.0L type 4. How does one install the new rod bolts which are seemingly needed to be pressed into the small part of the rod half without damaging the rod half?

Does one bake the con rods to 500 degrees before inserting the bolts?
Old 03-19-2005, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Send them to a machine shop to be pressed in and the rods will need to be resized as the new bolts will distort the rods plenty.
Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 03-20-2005, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I have a shop press handy so I will try to press them in myself. Are you certain that will distort the rods that much?
Old 03-20-2005, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
Yes you will need to have the rods resized after the bolts are installed.
the bolts fit with an interferance.
I would let the machine shop install the bolts.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
What does it mean to resize the rods? Does it mean the standard size bearings I bought will no longer be usable?
Old 03-21-2005, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
When the bolts are installed on the rods the big end will be slightly askew.
the machine shop will hone the rods bringing it back to spec.
You will be able to use the bearings you have.

Last edited by SteveStromberg; 03-22-2005 at 01:23 PM..
Old 03-21-2005, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
How much does the labor for doing the rods typically costs?
Old 03-22-2005, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned

Depending on the bolts.
I use Wav Loc Pro ARP Bolts, the cost will be about $20 per rod to have the bolts installed and the rods rebushed and resized.
If the bolts need the holes resized for the bolt you are looking at $25 per rod for rebushed and resized
Old 03-22-2005, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

tshih, just so you know, when they resize the big end of the rod, they surface the mateing surfaces of both the rods and caps, (thats with the bolts removed) and if you install the bolts in the caps, the machinist will only surface the rod side, they won't take your new bolts out of the caps.

And be sure you tell whoever does your rods, that you want both surfaces done, (rods and caps) some machinist cut corners, they'll say you only need to do one side. BULL****

When they resize the big end, they surface equal amounts off the mateing surfaces of both the rods and caps, then the inside dia.of the assembled rod is smaller, it's then honed out to spec. It can be resized with only one surface surfaced, but it's not the right way.

This is only my opinion
Old 03-24-2005, 12:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: