Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question on Cleaning Trans & Oven Cleaner

I've seen a few posts where some of you have used 'oven cleaner" on Fuchs wheels.

i was wondering if I could use this on my transmission. I've got a side shift that I want to sell on E-Bay and I want to get it as clean as possible. I've already used about 3 cans of degreaser but some of that grease is baked on and a bit tough.

Any advice would be great...........................Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 03-21-2005, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

My husband uses Orange clean to clean his trannys and engines. You can buy this very cheap at a dollar store. He lets the cleaner sit on the part for a little while then he rinses it off with a pressure washer. I have also seen him use oven cleaner.

HIEDI
Old 03-21-2005, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
DON'T USE OVEN CLEANER!!! IT will dissolve the aluminum alloy case and leave huge pits as well on Fuchs alloys. USE the Orange stuff it's much nicer and works well as explained above.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I know someone who just used oven cleaner last week and it worked fine. I'm sure lye attacks magnesium if left on there long enough, but in this case it loosened the grease and the case looks good with no damage. My preference is spray it with some Gunk or kerosene and let it set for a day or two, then hit it with a pressure washer (hot water). Avoid blasting directly into the main or side shaft seal areas.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for all the advice.

I hooked up the hose to the hot water & used degreaser. It's now spotless!

Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 03-21-2005, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Quote:
Originally posted by tshih
DON'T USE OVEN CLEANER!!! IT will dissolve the aluminum alloy case and leave huge pits as well on Fuchs alloys. USE the Orange stuff it's much nicer and works well as explained above.
Not. We all use oven cleaner on the Fuchs to remove the factory anodize. You just don't leave it there for a week.

I have scrubbed aluminum cases and trannys with lye. Works better on the AL. Not as good on mag.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: