Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Electronic ignition for 914

Any thoughts on good electronic ignition options for a 914-4? We are considering going that route with our race car and could use some ideas.

thanks
'71 914-6 | "Huey" w/3.2 engine
'04 GT3 | Nadine's daily driver...
Old 03-22-2005, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I've had good luck with Pertronix Ignitor's.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have a Mallory Unilite distributor and am very happy with it....brand new billet distributor with modern electronics instead of adding electronics to an old 30 year old part
Old 03-22-2005, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Note that the D-jetronic FI requires a specific type of distributor. If you run D-jet, you cannot run a Mallory. (Well, with enough electronic heroics you probably can make it work, but...)

Pertronix and Crane are two very popular points replacements. If you are looking for a capacitive-discharge system, Crane and MSD both make well-regarded systems.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-22-2005, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I bought the Pertronix from Pelican and installed it a few weeks ago. I am amazed at how much better the car runs now. I never could get the dwell setting to last more than a few weeks.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave at Pelican Parts
Note that the D-jetronic FI requires a specific type of distributor. If you run D-jet, you cannot run a Mallory. (Well, with enough electronic heroics you probably can make it work, but...)
--DD
Dave,

I've been running the Mallory with my D-Jet for a few months now, runs great

About $10 in electronics and some DIY work took care of the triggering of the ECU
Old 03-22-2005, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

oK, a bit of clarification:
2.2 liter, weber carbs.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Quote:
Originally posted by mike mueller
About $10 in electronics and some DIY work took care of the triggering of the ECU
Amazing how much electrical heroics you can do for ten bucks, huh?

Care to post what you've done so the rest of us can ditch the stock distributor if we feel the need to??

I'd love to find out how it runs.

--DD

Old 03-23-2005, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

actually, it was might have cheaper than that...it's 6 resistors, 4 transistors and some soldering and a little bit of work with a file...I'll find the pictures and post them.....when the weather gets better I'll let you drive the car

I just hope you don't mind being seen it with the bling-bling rims and carbonfiber deck lids
Old 03-23-2005, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
CD Mallory with Compufire

Put a Mallory 6A, triggered by a Compufire electronic points unit. Magnecore 8mm Electrosport wires. .009 distrbutor and Weber 44 IDF's It ROCKS!!!!!
By the way get a Autometer 5" monster tach because you pre 74 tach WILL NOT WORK.
Better gas milage, quicker revs to redline, pulls real hard through upper RPM band. Idles super smooth. I will never look back. Beside Kumho V700 tires it is the best improvement I have made to the car.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Pertronix now has a Pertronix II model that seems to be much improved. You might want to study the differences as both models are available recently. My vote would be the P II. Lyle
Old 03-23-2005, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by mike mueller
I just hope you don't mind being seen it with the bling-bling rims and carbonfiber deck lids
I just hope you can get my drool stains off the CF lids...

--DD

Old 03-23-2005, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Mike,

I'd pay good money for the key to the proper way to put "6 resistors, 4 transistors and some soldering" to work instead of the 30 year old system that I have now.

Fin
Old 03-31-2005, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the advice. Not sure which we're going with yet, but this gives me some ideas to research.

FYI, a pic of "Papa Smurf"

Old 03-31-2005, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

MSD MSD MSD

Howdy ya all,
My 2 cents........MSD 6al with a blaster coil and a MSD billet ditrib and ur off to the races....distrib allows up to 28 degrees advance over the base setting and its all in house no cross brand BS my 2056cc pulls like a train....need more displacement now I am thinking a 2270 stroker.

By the way it is an MSD ditrib from a T-1 engine but a little shaving of the fan shroud and denting of the tin you are good to go (need to use ur stock distrib clamp though)

Good luck
Josh
Old 03-31-2005, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: