Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
918 update

I told all of you that I would post an update on the progress of the 914 to 928 V8 conversion. I don't remember who started calling it a 918, but I like it. I decided to have a friend of mine make a new emblem for the tail light panel. He's a pattern maker. He's made all kinds of patterns for casting things. It's been appoximately a month since I picked up the motor. As I stated, If you've ever considered this conversion you WILL have to cut the car. This is not for the purist or the squeemish. If the thought of cutting out the firewall behind the seats upsets you, this conversion is not for you. I made the adaptor plate in my garage with some simple tools. I still need to cut the outer shape but the center hole and both bolt patterns are in and work. I have the flywheel done. I used the 928 flywheel disk and had the 914 ring gear attached at the machine shop. I still need to have it balanced and faced. The 928 flywheel is recessed, that is to say the 928 block extends out over the flywheel. Unlike the 914 flywheel that extends out from the block. I made this distance up by cutting the transaxle case down. The biggest problem is the lenth. The 928 conversion featured in the 1990 panorama stated that the Wheel base NEEDED to be lenthened 5" in order to fit the long motor in. After cutting the firewall and transaxle, The tranaxle mounts are extended 2" back from stock. This is the same as the chevy conversion. I have the rear mounts made, and i'm working on the front mount. The cable tubes for the throttle and clutch need to be moved over.I have this done. Forget about the stock shifter. The 928 oil pan is 1/4" from the boxed lower firewall. Although I can't use the stock shift linkage, I've picked up some linear bearings and precision shaft and I'll be fabricating new linkage. I'll have the car ready to test by early spring. Jim McIntosh (TFI) has been kind enough to put up a website with my past photos. This is the URL(look below) book mark it so you can check the progress in the future. Maybe Jim will include some photos of his car. He's done an unorthodox conversion as well. I've also included a URL to a site that my best computer buddy put together for me. http://www.d.umn.edu/~jrichar4/alien.htm
I painted his 67 beetle a few years back. I hope he puts a photo of it on the site he
built for me. Thanks you guy's. If you want any more info, e-mail me and I'll try to talk Jim into posting it on his web page.
Nuf For Now

[This message has been edited by rich (edited 12-14-1999).]
Old 12-13-1999, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Hey, there. The numeric URL does not work for me. I get "403 FORBIDDEN" when I click on it.

Have your friend check on that...

I do like the pix on the other site!

--DD
Old 12-14-1999, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
OOPS, I guess that I can only access that site. The site Jim is putting together is going to be moved to (removed)It's not there yet but book mark it and check it in a few days or so.

Last edited by rich; 12-28-2001 at 07:12 PM..
Old 12-14-1999, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rich, how's the 'upgrade' coming along?.
Is the engine finally installed on this thing? Were you able to solve how to get the CV joints connected to the trans? I saw the photo that shows the distance between the mounting point for the trans. How did that affect the CV joints?

Old 09-15-2000, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I've had some set backs in my spring test drive schedule. Life has a way of getting in the way fun and hobbies. The motor and transaxle are mated and in the car. I still have alot work to complete the install but things are working out. I'm taking the summer and fall to try to complete a few other projects like my new hobby shop.
(slab heat,2"X6" walls,1/2 story storage and work shop) I started building it in 1997. I need to finish the siding,lighting,wiring, sheet rock,ect. It's going to be great to finally be able to work in a warm and well lit work shop again. This and a few other things are changing my plans. But don't worry, The car is far enough along that I can confidently say that this car is doable and will live!
Old 09-16-2000, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
10 yrs already??

rich,

i lost all of the stuff that you sent me for the website... if you want me to build it again i can. i'm back at school now.
Old 09-17-2000, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks again, but I had a local friend volenteer to do a site for me. Check it out. http://www.d.umn.edu/~jrichar4/alien.htm
Old 09-18-2000, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ViolentBlue
what has ever become of this project?
Old 12-24-2001, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Pelican Parts

Thanks for asking. I'm not too much further than the photo's on the web site. (on the car or my new hobby shop) As some of you know, I'm a Property and Casualty Adjuster. I accepted a new position with a fairly large carrier this spring in hopes of having a little more time. I think it back fired! I have had some time to rethink the shifter. I bought two used oil pans and plan on modifying one of them for clearance. This will allow me to use the stock shift linkage. I also bought a second 928 flywheel. I'm going to have a spare flywheel made. I shortened a trans axle case for a guy in Mankato MN. for a 914/928 conversion he's doing as a grad project. He hauled the trans axle to my house in the trunk of his Acura NSX.(coool) I guess he has to finish the car and show his instructor that it's a working car that can be marketed as a kit by spring or he can't graduate. he's making kevlar lids, fares, brake conversion,ect., ect. (that's pressure!)
I can't say I've made the best use of my spare time, or that all I do is work. My Wife and I did get to go to the Montery Historics at Laguna Seca Raceway. We saw Jay Leno there. That was neat. And two weeks later I flew back to California and bought a 1959 MGA for my wife. (but that another story!) Thanks again for checking. I will finish this car...really.....
Old 12-26-2001, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
MOnterey Historics

I work for a TV station in Monterey and I interviewed Jay Leno and Phil Hill at the Monterey Historics. Did you see the 914 in the pits? I don't know who it was, but I never saw it on the track.

I highly recommend the Monterey Historics to ANY race fan, but then, I live 5 minutes from Laguna Seca.
Old 12-28-2001, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: