Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

"Plumbing" for heat exchangers

My 1974 2.0 has an electric blower in the engine compartment with one tube connected to the driver J tube. The passenger J tube has a cap on it above the engine tin. The blower has only one outlet. Didn't the 914 blow heat in both sides? I realize air came in from the crank driven fan, and the electric was a "booster".
My car is reasonbly un-molested, but I am not clear on this aspect.
2003 Toyota Sequoia
Golden Retriever - Heidi
Old 03-27-2005, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I could very well be wrong on this, but I think only one year's production, the 73's, were equipped with a splitter at the booster fan, with hose feeding to both sides. There are parts available of course, to convert the one sided set-up to dual.

Ed
Old 03-27-2005, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If you want to convert to having the blower split between both sides, it can be done with parts found locally for maybe $35 total. E-mail sbomeli@virginia.edu if you have further questions or want pictures of the setup I just did on my car. Steve
Old 03-27-2005, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The 70-72 cars had a fan that had two outlets. They changed to a single-outlet fan for the 73 model year, and ran the hose to only the driver's side heat exchanger. For the 75-76 model years, they put a splitter on the fan's outlet, and ran hoses to both exchangers again. So the 73-74 model year cars were the ones that had a capped-off J-tube on the right side exchanger.

You can fake up a splitter or Y from PVC plumbing parts if you are at all motivated. There are also other ways to go; some of the late-style fans had a detachable splitter and you can swap that over to your fan. Or you can just get the late-style fan.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-27-2005, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave at Pelican Parts
So the 73-74 model year cars were the ones that had a capped-off J-tube on the right side exchanger.
--DD
Dave,
My '74 has two hoses instead of one, maybe that was a mid '74 change? Of course that doesn't mean that a PO hadn't made that modification and it came from the factory with only one...

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 03-29-2005, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Bowman 74, can you post a picture?
2003 Toyota Sequoia
Golden Retriever - Heidi
Old 03-29-2005, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by orange914jeff
Bowman 74, can you post a picture?
I'll look at snapping one tonight. Basically the fan has a single outlet with a Y splitter and then two hoses coming off of it. It is the same part shown here on the PP catalog: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/images/exhaust/914_blower_motor_hose.JPG

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 03-30-2005, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Kevin, That is the set up from the 75-76, some one added that. to your 74. Also on the 70-72 the blower was mounted in the center over the impeller, and on the 73-76 it was mounted on the left hand side of the engine bay.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ruddyboys
Kevin, That is the set up from the 75-76, some one added that. to your 74. Also on the 70-72 the blower was mounted in the center over the impeller, and on the 73-76 it was mounted on the left hand side of the engine bay.
Well good news for me then!

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 03-31-2005, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: