Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

4 cylinder performance

Hi All
Question on how much performance (reliable/daily driver) can you get out of the 2.0. Lots of info on upgrading to sixes and V-8's but what about keeping the 4 but increasing the fun factor.
Thanks
Glen
Old 03-27-2005, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

Probably in the range of 110 - 120 hp and not all that cheap to do either.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Tons of variables, too many to really be able to say with certainty. I'd guess at an upper limit of around 150-160 HP out of 1971cc with half-decent longevity... But it really is a guess.

Do you need to keep the stock 1971cc displacement? Do you need to keep the stock injection (and therefore the stock cam)? Are you talking about just bolting on external bits and going, or full-on rebuilds? Are you willing to lose all semblance of cabin heat? Are you willing to pop for super-grade fuel all the time, possibly with extra octane-enhancers added afterward? Are you willing to invest Big Bucks for all the "little" tricks that add half an HP or so? How long does the engine need to live??

If you're talking about keeping everything stock and just bolting on a few external parts, I'd guess you'd be stuck with less than 110 HP total.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-27-2005, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

good point, DD! i'm replacing my 1.7 with a 2.....driven less than 200 miles after delivery, but alas; that's another story.....i burn only BP 93 oct. and i'm curious as to which fuel additive to use.
104 Oct. boost or Outlaw, OR should i use fuel system cleaners....i don't think Oct. Boosters and fuel sys. cleaners are the same....but i could be wrong....what kind of bolt on upgrades do you recommend?
Old 04-02-2005, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
If your engine is a stock 2.0 liter 914-4 motor, run regular grade fuel in it. It was designed for ~87 octane (87 AKI [US pump octane] == 91 RON [European pump octane]) so regular fuel is great for it. If you have a non-stock motor, then talk to your engine's builder.

--DD

Old 04-02-2005, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

There is always making your tranny a close ratio 1st through 4th so you can have mad 0-60 times for tooting around your neighborhood. But Dave's 100% right...

This car can be very reliable but I won't leave more than 150 miles from home in it.

1974 914/4 2.0
2006 Hummer H3
2005 Dakota
Old 04-02-2005, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I dunno, I saw Auto Atlanta's new Motronic Fuel Injection (MFI) on a four cylinder and it supposidly had around 200 or more. It was pretty insane. This new Fuel Injection should be out soon.

Drue
Old 04-28-2005, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I drove a 2056 the other day (cam, Webers) it was a lot of fun pulled great in 3rd. I sold my 3.2 SC about a year ago and have been looking to get a 914 for a fun commute car. I don't want the expence of maintaining a six, a inproved 4 seems to interest me more. My SC had cams, SSI's etc. with each hp addition I always wanted more finally got tired of it. The 914 is much more fun without having to worry about every little scratch etc.
Glen
Old 04-28-2005, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
One of my 96 x 82 2374cc engines will move your 914 quite nicely.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dcicchetto914
I dunno, I saw Auto Atlanta's new Motronic Fuel Injection (MFI) on a four cylinder and it supposidly had around 200 or more. It was pretty insane. This new Fuel Injection should be out soon.

Drue
thier fuel injection is made by a company called SDS, Simple Digital Systems, I highly doubt the 200hp claim, I'll believe it when I see real dyno numbers

The SDS has been out for like 10 years, AA is offering a package deal with the throttle bodies and such, good idea so that you can purchase everything from the same place.

Their car did look good (except for goofy offset of the front wheels)
Old 04-28-2005, 10:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by dcicchetto914
I dunno, I saw Auto Atlanta's new Motronic Fuel Injection (MFI) on a four cylinder and it supposidly had around 200 or more.
But I'll betcha a lunch that it was not a 1971cc motor. Not normally aspirated and making 200 HP, it wasn't! If it was, it was all in the RPM and it would have been rather un-streetable and would only last a matter of hours. (Possibly a couple hundred hours, but not more than that I think.)

--DD

Old 04-29-2005, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: