Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jake Seidel Send a message via Yahoo to Jake Seidel
Porsche Crest Tires

I have a 9172 914 stock. I need to know what size tire I should get. dont kno what wheels zI have but here is a picture. I would like the best size that I could easily find and preform well. I have 165 r15
what is the sidewall meaure on this tire
91 Honda Accord
95 BMW 540i FS
Old 03-29-2005, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The "aspect ratio" for 165R15 tires is about 80. I've heard numbers vary from 75 to 82, but that's OK because most of those numbers tend to be fairly inexact representations of the actual dimensions of the tire...

Check to see how much room you have on either side of the tires. Especially the rear ones, that's where the most problems seem to occur. Some wheels (most of the VW Bug ones) won't let you fit anything wider than a 165 under the stock fenders; others will let you fit a 195; the stock wheels will let you fit a 205 on most but not all 914s.

If you have an inch of room on either side of both rear tires, you've got room for 205s. If you've got about 3/4", you've got room for 195s.

The most common sizes for wider 914 tires are 195/65-15, 195/60-15, and 205/60-15. All are a little shorter than the stock tires, but none of them are hugely so. The 205/50-15 also has its fans, and some people (including me) have very short 195/50-15s. Not so fun on the freeway, those, but great fun on the track...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-29-2005, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I have that exact set of wheels the PO gave me when I bought my 914. What are they? The only thing I've been able to find out about them is that they might be called a Spider or something like that. I think they're 15x5. Does anyone know what they're worth? I don't want them since putiing the original Fuchs back on. Thanx!
Old 03-29-2005, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
My car has P205 50 15's.

I think they look good but the speedometer is definately not accurate. I'm going to switch to P205 60 15's nex time around.

Here's how they look:

'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 03-29-2005, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Steve,

Most people call those rims Empi 8-spokes, however, they are incorrect, they are just 8-spoke rims, Empi is a brand and the chances of you have real Empi rims is very rare. Most of those 8-spoke rims are cheap American Racing brand rims...you can buy them brand new all day long for about $60 a piece...they worth about $100 for set in my opinion....
Old 03-29-2005, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Interesting. The box they were stored in has "Gold Empi" magic-markered on the side. That don't make 'em Empi's, though, does it? I just went out to the garage and looked 'em over pretty closely. They don't really have any markings on them that would let you know who made them. If you click on the link in my sig, you'll see them.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: