Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question on POR-15

I want to paint my front & rear suspension components and I was planning on using POR-15.

Can anyone give me some advice on which product works best. When I visited the POR-15 website, I noticed that there are several different products including POR-15 rust preventitive, and also Hardnose Paint.

Each of the above products state that there good for chassis painting. I am also planning on painting around the battery tray area. I have some rust but it's not too too bad. However, when I relocated my fuel pump to the front (a couple of years ago), I noticed the the area where the fuel pump was located was fairly rusted.

I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance.........Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R

Last edited by Tidybuoy; 04-01-2005 at 10:33 AM..
Old 04-01-2005, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I used POR-15 on the driveshafts on my Corvette when I restored it a few years ago. I bought the standard POR-15 in battleship grey. It's good stuff, but I found that 2 coats are better than one... if you do it right, you can get a very nice flowed-on finish with a brush.

However, if you're taking the suspension pieces off the car, powder coating can't be beat. I did that on the Vette, basically any piece that would fit in the oven got powder coated. I used an Eastwood kit along with an oven that a guy at work gave me for free. And of course, the powder paints come in a wide variety of colors.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
Hammerite is better than Por 15.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
heres the deal on por-15...if the surface to be painted is rusted...as in brown colored, then por-15 it...if is is still painted...used something else as the por-15 will simply peel away and not adhere to the surface. This has been my experience. Hammerite, or other quality paint will be better suited to the task...

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 04-02-2005, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I really dig the 'starter kit' that they sell. Comes with Metal-Ready, Marine Cleen and a 6-oz can of POR15. I think it's like $20 with shipping.

1975 - 914-WRX (Under Construction)
2012 - BMW 535i (Daily)
Old 04-05-2005, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'm going to use Rust Bullet, you're supose to be able to apply right over the rust, I'll probably use Metal Prep first then Rust Bullet.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I used the "kit" Cpt Tripps referred to on my rear swing arms about 3 years ago with great success. I know someone is going to throw up the "B*ll*****!!" flag here, but after following the directions (bare metal, metal ready, drink a beer, coat with POR-15) and letting them dry for a day, I went to check on my results. Had them hanging from the workbench by some bailing wire (which incidentally no garage should be without!), and didn't have a good grip on it when I cut the wire.....CRASH!! Right onto the floor..#&^*(%%#!!!! , actually put a chip in the concrete, but didn't mar the coating at all .......I bought another 6-pack of the little cans, a gallon of metal ready, and proceeded to coat everything metal....and I mean everything.......unfortunately, that again was 3 years ago, and the car is still on all 4's (jackstands that is..)

DWD....

Oh yeah, no rust through so far....

'73 914
'75 914
Old 04-05-2005, 11:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: