Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
octane in Atlanta area

To Mears in Duluth, Ga ... I live in Roswell and I get 100 non leaded at a Shell Station in Crabapple. Last batch I bought was $5.00 / Gal. You might try calling Shell locally and see if there is another place closer to Duluth. Stock 2.0L does not need anything but regular.. Al
Old 04-02-2005, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

kick ass!!!! PLEASE tell me where it is.... if it won't hurt the engine, it's worth $5/gal. for the smell!!!! truth be told, i'd be willing to upgrade for the ability to burn 100LL!
Old 04-02-2005, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

BTW, are you going to the GA wine tour next weekend? it's a quick drive from ATL
Old 04-02-2005, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
100 octane

I was at a car show in Roswell today and was talking to a racer who told me that you can buy 100 Octane at a Kangaroo Station as you go North on 985 and exit for Road Atlanta (HWY 53) just on the right. I don't have anything cool to drive right now. I have a 914-6, real one, that is 100% dissasambled now, even the engine. The tub has been blasted with baking soda and is having some welding done at my son's house. We are building a 914 track and autoX car now that has a 2.5L (86.7MM) was a 2.4L T engine that was pulling 160 HP on the chasis dyno before we decided to open it to see what it was since a 2.4 T is only 140HP at the crank. Long story short we are doing a complete rebuild with bigger cams etc shooting for 200HP. We will not be driving that one for a couple of months. I just bought a 912E to drive , but it has a massive crank seal oil leak and I hate to take it to far from home . We will be doing some club in the Fall looks like. Al
Old 04-03-2005, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

thanks for the info.....i'm from NC and usually one can find 100-105 oct., just about anywhere....especially in the country....PM if you'd to get together and talk shop....i don't know that many folks around here
Old 04-04-2005, 03:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I would not use 100 octane or higher in a stock four-cylinder 914 engine. You may (chances are low, but why pay $3/gallon more just to have a non-zero chance?) actually burn your exhaust valves just from running very high octane fuel!! 87 octane is what the stock 1.8s and 2.0s were designed to run (and the later 1.7s as well); the early 1.7s were designed for ~91-93 octane.

Modified engines can be built with higher-octane fuels in mind, and if so they should use those fuels.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-04-2005, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

thank you DD! hopefully burning 93 oct. all the time won't hurt the engine?!? right?!?
Old 04-04-2005, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
It shouldn't. Now, if the engine were designed for ~65 octane, I'd be worried... But the stock one is designed for 87, so 93 ought to be fine. And I don't see why anyone would drop the already-low compression ratio of the stock engine, unless they were going to boost the motor. And that has its own "interesting" set of problems.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-05-2005, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Acox914
more advance requires higher octane fuel

some carb guys run mucho advance....
with 12 dbtdc initial and 29 deg btdc final, i would get minor detonation with 87 octane, 89 or higher there is no problem
Old 04-05-2005, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: