Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

320 Brake kit??

I am looking for a source to get the BMW 320 brake upgrade for my '75 914.

I understand that there is some machining required to make the calipers fit and I wonder if someone sells a kit so that I could just bolt them on.

Not too lazy, just time constrained!!!
Old 04-02-2005, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to tmeracz Send a message via AIM to tmeracz
People do sell kits, but if you buy one, make sure it's not from some fly-by night person on EBay like I dealt with: Paul Allen.
Not only did this guy keep me waiting, he sent me 2 right hand calipers and never bothered to correct that little "problem".

I ended up sourcing the missing caliper from NAPA for less than $120 shipped. Take it to your local machine shop for the media removal on the inner flange and you're good to go! Specs are posted on this site.

Seriously, it's not rocket science so don't be afraid of doing this mod yourself. I added the 911 master cylinder and braided stainless brake lines while I was at it and the car now actually stops when I want it to.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yeah I probably should just bite the bullet and do it myself. I had a great machinist that I used all the time, but I just moved to Indianapolis and don't know any good shops yet so it's kind of a hassle.

Any recommedations for the Indy area????
Old 04-02-2005, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
BTDT....get some good fluid, agressive pads and slot the rotors of your stock set up. On a stock 914 they are perfectly adequate...
Old 04-03-2005, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The 320i caliper upgrade is seriously about as easy as it gets. If you're going to do it, I also recommend removing the proportioning valve and replacing it with a T. I just did the upgrade last fall, and I've gotten great results with the 19mm MC behind the pedal and stock 914 brakes on the rear. The machining only cost me $25 dollars from a retired local machinist. Anyone with a mill can do the machining. Steve
Old 04-04-2005, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have a pair 0f 320i calipers for sale if your interested $150.00 for the pair.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Have they been machined?
Old 04-04-2005, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

they came off a 914 that I did a 911s caliper upgrade on.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
What year 914? Early ones (up through early 72) do not require you to machine the 320 calipers, I am told. The late-72 and on struts do require you to machine the 320 calipers. There is a run in mid-72 that I can't figure out...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-04-2005, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I machined mine on a friends mill in an afternoon. More time was spent setting up, measuring, head scratching, measuring, taking small cuts, measuring etc. A real machinist should be able to do the cuts very quickly but it was pretty satisfying to do it myself.

Now if I can just get the car right side up.

Kevin Mott
OKC OK
'79 MGB Daily Driver
'73 914 STILL in deep project mode.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I'm a visual sort of guy and having a little trouble understanding exactly which surface you are removing material from. I read the PP tech article but came away confused. Are there any drawings or sketches or digital pics to help visualise this process?
Thanks in advance,
Bill
66 Red &White Ghia 2liter 914 engine ..restoring it from a californicated custom soon
90 Maroon and Silver Conversion Van ..the shag mobile..family car/camper
94 saturn wagon ..the wifes pos
Old 04-05-2005, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Take a look at your brake calipers. Look, in particular, where the bolts go through them--the bolts that hold them onto the struts. Now look at where the caliper sits against the mounting ears on the strut. You remove some material from the surface of the caliper that sits against those mounting ears.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-05-2005, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
The amount to remove for late calipers is .125 or 1/8 of and inch. the location as Dave said is on the interface surface between caliper and spindle. I have a set un-machined 100.00
Old 04-06-2005, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: