Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 Club Racer/Auto-X

Is there anyone out there that races a 914/4 2.0? Iwould love to get some feed back. I have heard some rumors that the 4 cyl. motor did not make a good racing motor. I find this hard to believe with so many in PCA/HSR.

Old 06-29-1998, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yes there are. I'm sure Dave Darling can tell you all about it. See posts on "914 Drivers Ed Info needed"
Old 07-01-1998, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Sure, I'll take a stab at it.

Depending on what series you want to play in, the 914/4 will either be very competitve or not at all.

If you play with your local PCA, you will generally be going against similarly-prepared 914s. The cars in the class are all 914s, so a 914 should win. (Local rules may actually put other cars in with 914s, so YMMV.)

If you're playing with the SCCA, a well set-up 914/4 with a good driver can be very competitve on a local level, depending what else comes out to play in your class. But not nationally. The deck is pretty well stacked against the 914s.

The stock four-cylinder cars are in B-stock, and are I hear pretty thoroughly outclassed. The next level of modification puts them in CSP, against millions of Miatas, the CRX, 1st-gen RX-7, and the BMW M3. All of which have somewhat (Miata, CRX) to TONS (RX-7, M3) more power. It's tough for a 115-HP 914 to take on a 250-HP M3. And, since 914s are not allowed headers of any kind in CSP, the 115 HP is probably rather optimistic.

The Sixes are in A-stock and ASP. Some form of Lotus takes A-stock every year, and the early lightweight 911s with 3.2L engines are the competitive Porsches in ASP. Forget the two-liter 914/6.

So your answer is yes and no, depending mostly on class structure.

--DD
Old 07-05-1998, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: