Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Drop Link Bushings

The nylon (plastic?) bushings on the drop links to the rear stabilizer were cracked so I ordered new ones. I removed the drop link and the old bushings just broke apart. I've tried pressing (by hand) the new bushings in place but have had no luck. Any tips on how to install these? I assume you insert the open end first as the back side is solid and does not yield. What lubricant should be used on the bushing to ball connection?
Old 05-24-2005, 10:23 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
A press, a vise, or C-clamp will get them in. A little time in hot water will make them more pliable.

Put a little (very little) grease in the bushing cup. Remember to leave room for the ball inside the cup! And grease on the sides of the cup will make it harder for air to get out, which will make the bushing tougher to press onto the ball. But you do want the joint to have some lubrication, so....

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling

Last edited by Dave at Pelican Parts; 05-24-2005 at 06:02 PM..
Old 05-24-2005, 06:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I used a very little bit of grease and then carefully pressed in it with a vise. Just make sure it's lined up straight and then they go in relatively easy.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:21 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Not Having Much Luck

Guys, I'm still not having any luck pressing the bushings in place. I placed them in warm water for a while and used a little silicone lubricant before trying to press them in place with a vice. They would just get started and them fold up like an accordion. Do you press them open side in or solid side in? Would appreciate any suggestions.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:14 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Success

Well I finally succeeded in pressing the bushings onto the drop link. Thought I would pass along my method. Our local Harbor Freight Tools had a 1/2 ton rack and pinion type press on sales for $19.95 so I pick one up. To solve the problem with the walls of the bushing folding out during the pressing opeartion I visited the local Home Depot and discovered that the bushing would just slide inside a 1" galvanized electrical conduit. Didn't need an eight foot length so bought a 90 degree bend and cut a short length off of one straight end. Length was same as the length of the bushing. The first photo shows the drop link, piece of tubing, bushing and a "ram" that would fit inside tubing stacked in order. Second and third photos show these positioned on the press. I used a shall amount of silicone grease on inside of drop link and a little on the end of the bushing. Note that I am pressing the open end on the bushing into the drop link. Holding the galvanized tubing against the drop link while pressing the bushing and "ram" downward made for quick and easy installation. Be sure to reverse the position of the bushing on the opposite side of the drop link so that each bushing opens in the opposite direction. I do appreciate the earlier suggestions but was unable complete this task with a vise. Hope my solution helps someone faced with this task.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:03 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Good advice.... Now wait till you find out that the car handles better with the sway bar disconnected....
66 Red &White Ghia 2liter 914 engine ..restoring it from a californicated custom soon
90 Maroon and Silver Conversion Van ..the shag mobile..family car/camper
94 saturn wagon ..the wifes pos
Old 06-07-2005, 04:45 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the pic's. That looks like a good idea and alternative.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:28 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Old 06-08-2005, 11:28 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: