Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Warning: 1.7L P/C and 2.0L crank

Well I thought I would just start a new topic and hope I reach everyone I've talked to about 1.7L pistons and cylinders combined with a 2.0L crank. Well it doesn't work without spacers.

The piston comes out of the bore about 1/2" (sorry I lent mt calipers to a freind) so to use them I'm now looking to some of the Type-IV performance shops in Cal. Fats Performance offers custom spacers but this may off set the saving of using 1.7L P/C's instead of the 2.0L barrels ($160 vs. $475).

Anyway just wanted to state the problem in case someone thought I (knew what I was talking about) had used this combination before. It sounded like it would work but like anything else you don't know until you try it.
Old 09-13-1998, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
Use type 1 90.5 B. for stoker pistons in type4 barrels no spacers needed.
Old 11-09-2000, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The 2L crank is basiclly a 1.7/1.8 crank that Volkswagen reground the rod journals down to create the longer stroke. To compensate for the longer piston travel, the rods were shortened and the pin location on the piston was moved closer to the top.

Many of the larger smaller type I/IV engine piston/liner kits come in both a standard and stroker versions. I haven't heard whether or not these stroker kit would work or if they even come in sizes 94mm and above. Might be worth checking into.
Chris
Old 11-09-2000, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Spacers will put the heads 1/2" farther away from the block. You'll start running into issues when you put the engine tin on, when you put the motor in the car, when you put the pushrods and pushrod tubes in... And so on.

Those are a lot of issues to solve for your $300 "savings".

Check into some 96mm pistons and cylinders. You'll get more displacement (2055cc) and they are often cheaper than the 94mm ones.

--DD
Old 11-10-2000, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
STEVESTROMBERG How do you deal with the wrist pin size difference from the type I to the type IV?
Old 11-12-2000, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
For 24mm wrist pin you have 2 ways to go,open up 22mm holes to 24.
Old 11-12-2000, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Banned

The other way to go is to use 94mm waterboxer pistons which have the 24mm wristpin.
Old 11-12-2000, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned

If you need 2.0 pistons Ihave N.O.S. NPR's $275.00
Old 11-14-2000, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: